Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.25.2 Released

Phoronix: GNOME 3.25.2 Released

GNOME 3.25.2 is now available as the latest test snapshot leading up to this September's GNOME 3.26 stable debut...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

gnome-minutes? I don't see mention to that software in any of the changelogs. Did you mistype gnome-clocks?

Comment

Just tried GNOME on wayland with radeon/r600 few days ago, performance are just terrible, but before reporting need to rule out driver problems, before 3.24.2 (or maybe 3.24 it did work "well", but in a meantime X and Mesa got updated, so idk what caused it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Octus View Post
        gnome-minutes? I don't see mention to that software in any of the changelogs. Did you mistype gnome-clocks?
        I believe Michael meant gnome-mines.

Comment

Gnome 3.24 is not working out for me too. Must have a few memory leaks, after some hours running, it becomes really sluggish with input lag in gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
            Just tried GNOME on wayland with radeon/r600 few days ago, performance are just terrible, but before reporting need to rule out driver problems, before 3.24.2 (or maybe 3.24 it did work "well", but in a meantime X and Mesa got updated, so idk what caused it.
            I also ran gnome 3.24 on Wayland on r600 hardware and while i would not call the performance terrible, it's definitely worse than on X. In gereral, sluggishness on wayland is to be expected according to: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=745032

Comment

i dontg think Wayland is there yet, its gonna take more releases of Wayland to be even at a stable/usable point Game Wise. but even for me in Gnome 3.22 i used to get heaps of flicker , i dunno if thats a Wayland issue only or a Wayland/Nouveau issue ? but IMO opensource drivers are crap

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post

I also ran gnome 3.24 on Wayland on r600 hardware and while i would not call the performance terrible, it's definitely worse than on X. In gereral, sluggishness on wayland is to be expected according to: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=745032
                Performance are not good tho, scratch that "terrible", I'm an idiot, when using X, I use EXA (and DRI2, it's forced by EXA), wayland defaults on DRI3 and glamor (I am not sure if it's even possible to use EXA/DRI2 with it on GNOME? I doubt it is), the problem is that mutter have a "bug" when used with DRI3 and .drirc option ("vblank_mode" value="0"), and in that case mutter does not respect monitor refresh rate to amtch FPS (it defaults at 60FPS), obviously on higher refresh rate, performance will look terrible, setting ("vblank_mode" value="1") would actually solve that problem on DRI3 with mutter for some reason (0=allways disabled, 1=disabled by default), another option is to force clutter to desired FPS=Hz with env. CLUTTER_DEFAULT_FPS=85 (or whatever refresh rate is), but that doesn't solve problem with applications that use "requestAnimationFrame" such as Chromium etc. since it does not respect it in that case.

I reported that "bug" while ago on GNOME Project, since it happens only with mutter, DRI3 with compiz, metacity and some other WM's works as expected with 0 value, it's only mutter problem ( https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=777796 ).

Anvil It depends on GPU i guess, with nouveau I didn't even try wayland, but for X it works perfect on my old (and weak GT210) GPU, I don't know how it is for newer GPU's, on the other hand Radeon free drivers are great even for new GPU's.
                Last edited by leipero; 28 May 2017, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post

Performance are not good tho, scratch that "terrible", I'm an idiot, when using X, I use EXA (and DRI2, it's forced by EXA), wayland defaults on DRI3 and glamor (I am not sure if it's even possible to use EXA/DRI2 with it on GNOME? I doubt it is), the problem is that mutter have a "bug" when used with DRI3 and .drirc option ("vblank_mode" value="0"), and in that case mutter does not respect monitor refresh rate to amtch FPS (it defaults at 60FPS), obviously on higher refresh rate, performance will look terrible, setting ("vblank_mode" value="1") would actually solve that problem on DRI3 with mutter for some reason (0=allways disabled, 1=disabled by default), another option is to force clutter to desired FPS=Hz with env. CLUTTER_DEFAULT_FPS=85 (or whatever refresh rate is), but that doesn't solve problem with applications that use "requestAnimationFrame" such as Chromium etc. since it does not respect it in that case.

I reported that "bug" while ago on GNOME Project, since it happens only with mutter, DRI3 with compiz, metacity and some other WM's works as expected with 0 value, it's only mutter problem ( https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=777796 ).

Anvil It depends on GPU i guess, with nouveau I didn't even try wayland, but for X it works perfect on my old (and weak GT210) GPU, I don't know how it is for newer GPU's, on the other hand Radeon free drivers are great even for new GPU's.
                  yeah thats what i thought, i have resisted installing F26 at the moment an even if i do i think i will have to install the Nvidia Driver again

Comment

Working...
                  X