No announcement yet.

Do You Still Use R600g OpenCL Clover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I think i would migrate my Windows Llano APU system to Linux whatever flavour probably Fedora, if it would work. But so far without img, atomic and missing opencl 1.2 support it is probably useless exept fore some BOINC workloads.

Comment

Well I though Counter Strike 1.6 of all things ran a bit slow on my current Radeon 5450, which I had to buy in a hurry. I thought the driver must suck, although there might be other reasons like my CPU.

I can't run fglrx, only the free thing. Maybe AMD really wanted to get it killed, as you can't install fglrx on Debian 8 / jessie (unless there's a workaround or a specific version to be downloaded somewhere)

I still don't have H264 acceleration in Firefox. So I thought, too bad! I'll keep using an unaccelerated, uncomposited desktop like I did a decade ago, I got the card for its outputs and low requirements not its advanced features.

So, I'm impressed by this discussion and people actually using OpenCL features on this kind of hardware!

I once had a similarly low end, advanced graphics card : the 8400GS (G86 based). Used the mainstream proprietary nvidia driver back then, so it was easy to use and get the expected fast framerates (you read this right). And you know, a control panel where you can enable anti-aliasing is a thing some users will use. Too bad the 8400GS was a ticking bomb (RoHS manufacturing -> dead nvidia boards)

Comment

Originally posted by orome View Post
        It'd be nice if you could report bugs, instead of whining on a forum ...
        The missing features are already reported in this feature matrix:

As you see, it's not about abouts bugs, it's just not implemented at all, there is nothing to report, and there is nothing to use.

Comment

I've tried... It used to work with pyrit, but not anymore. No idea why. Also, it crashes JohnTheRipper with LLVM errors.

Comment

OpenCL is pretty much useless on my AMD Bonaire ("Sea Island" IIRC) GPU on Linux. Most of the benchmarks crash with the open source drivers, and the proprietary driver doesn't even work on Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS though AMD claims it's supported. I've given up on it; I pissed away a couple of weeks filing bugs that aren't getting addressed.

My options at this point are a) Install Windows b) buy an NVidia GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post

The missing features are already reported in this feature matrix:

As you see, it's not about abouts bugs, it's just not implemented at all, there is nothing to report, and there is nothing to use.
              that does not work. looking at that table, local atomics definitely work on EG+, global atomics are half-done (void versions).
              on the other hand, global memory barriers don't work, and are not in that table.

no one is going to go by the table and fill in missing gaps. If you want your app to work on r600 clover, file a bug.

Comment

I'd like to use OpenCL (e.g. for Darktable acceleration) but alas, I guess it never worked so far on anything below radeonSI. :/
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                X