No announcement yet.

Do You Still Use R600g OpenCL Clover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My very big OpenCL usages is Darktable, a software I use a lot (and OpenCL in Darktable is a very strong need for me, it changes weeks of hardwork to days of hardwork). Sometime I also use the Blender's Cycles render for some experimentations I do related to some video game related hobby, but it's far to be a daily use (more an monthly use). Sometime I run some benchmarks to compare some hardware I have or some software updates. And well, the clover OpenCL is not usable for all of these usages (mainly because of missing image support in Darktable's case). If one day it works I would give it a try, but currently it's like if it does not exist. Not being usable for real-life usage is a bit like not existing. I really wonder in which use case that clover OpenCL is usable today, so the question sounds a bit strange to me: “Do you still use OpenCL clover?”, wait, was it usable at first? I'm still waiting (well, not really thanks to amdgpu-pro) to begin to use it, so I'm not in position to still using it.

Comment

It'd be nice if you could report bugs, instead of whining on a forum ...

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        I thought that Clover wasn't fully functional.
        It's OpenCL 1.1 and DOA for Blender and other apps that need newer OpenCL stack functionality. More to the point, unless there is a custom kernel option for Debian directly ROCm is DOA as well. I have zero desire to build custom kernels to pee in the winds until this functionality is modernized in Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          People can't use it, because it's kinda unfinished even for darktable and GIMP. But consider this: most of AMD's APU on people hands is not GCN-based as far I know. I guess it not good for OpenCL adoption in end-user apps if there will be less devices capable of running OpenCL.
          First and foremost we need something what will work on all workloads. What that will be (clover or whatever) matters little to the end user.

Comment

I do use OpenCL on R600g !
            My system has 2 R600g graphic boards : HD5450/Cedar and HD6450/Caicos, only the latter being connected to displays.
            They are both used for distributed computing with BOINC, and work well for Collatz Conjecture, at least since LLVM 4.0 and latest libclc from git.
            However, some projects don't work (Einstein@Home), showing that more work is needed on OpenCL/Clover...
            I really hope the needed improvements will occur, as I don't intend to modify my configuration soon.

Comment

Originally posted by orome View Post
              It'd be nice if you could report bugs, instead of whining on a forum ...
              Nothing to report, necessary OpenCL functions (work with images) is just not implemented in Clover.

Comment

Yes, I have GCN and Evergreen based GPUs in the same machine and sometimes run OpenCL tasks on both.

Comment

Personally, I don't really care about OpenCL on anything pre-GCN. Though, as noted, it might help OpenCL adoption, since there was a lag before GCN migrated to APUs.

Comment

I wish I could use it with blender, but it didn't work last time I tried :/

Comment

I suggest the opengl revision supported by the VGA as discriminant. I would preserve the support for those vga supporting 3.0/3.3 opengl. As far as me I'm moving from r670 ati vga (hd3850 agp) to pci-e 2.0 solutions supporting up to 4.5 opengl standards. Many rv6x0 gpus support opengl up to 3.3 although these devices are based on UVD+ standard which mesa drivers are able to manage perfectly.
                      Last edited by Azrael5; 28 May 2017, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X