Radeon VCN Video Decode Support Lands In Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nille View Post

And its totally uninteresting since it can't use the encoding features (and not even decoding is fully supported) and its limited to Linux.
    Why do you think I care if you are interested?
    vdpau is(was) limited to linux, but had very wide support.
    As of NOW, vaapi is the de facto video acceleration interface for linux.
    Also, it is supported by radeon and intel (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...64-VAAPI-Lands).

​​​​​​​
    Why? Its supported by ffmpeg.
    Yup, so is vaapi.

??? The Container is also uninteresting in this case.
    It's a type of comparison known as a simile.
    Again, I don't care what you are interested in. Why do you keep saying this? Do you think you booked a holiday with me as your program director? If you did, that's money I never saw.

Edit:

AMD has vaapi encode support for h.264 for Southern/Sea/Volcanic/Arctic Islands, and h.265 support for Volcanic/Arctic Islands.
    Last edited by liam; 29 May 2017, 12:49 AM. Reason: link to vaapi docs

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      you've got it backwards. aomeida is(was) not some recognized standards body. aomedia was just google, mozilla and cisco joining efforts to develop best open video codec
      According to Wikipedia, once the video format is finalized, the workgroup will submit it to the IETF for standardization.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
        As of NOW, vaapi is the de facto video acceleration interface for linux.
        Actually, I think the de facto Linux video acceleration interface is OpenMAX, due to Android.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          Actually, I think the de facto Linux video acceleration interface is OpenMAX, due to Android.
          If you count the mostly proprietary closed and locked down userland of Android as "a Linux" because it runs on a modified and likely tainted Linux kernel, then yes. I have yet to see any program on a normal Linux kernel based OS that makes use of OpenMAX.

Especially you should know...

euses openmax
          media-libs/mesa openmax - Enable OpenMAX video decode/encode acceleration for Gallium3D

That's it. It's supported more or less in mesa. In the standard portage tree there is no other program that seems to make use of OpenMAX (or at least none has a configurable USE flag).

Sadly I don't think there is really one good standard in the GNU/whatever/Linux userland for video acceleration. VDPAU is quite well supported but iirc. not by intel, unless you use some wrappers or the like. Some other drivers do not have modern video acceleration at all. VDPAU is only decode, not encode, probably because it is from a time where ASICs for encoding were a rare sight.
          vaapi is newer in that regard but I don't see it to be so widely supported either. And openMAX, or some old methodes or ... Xvba that was in the fglrx blob... well, next to none.

That is a bit unforunate and it seems that it also takes some time for driver or user-program developers to pick up and adapt video acceleration methods.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

What is true is that OpenMAX is not the de facto video acceleration interface if you count only desktop distros. I would however not belittle Android and the rest of the ARM/embedded Linux world as somehow less relevant for Linux than those distros.

OpenMAX is supported at least in gstreamer (gst-openmax) and ffmpeg libraries, VLC and some other video players too. Just Gentoo does not package/expose this as USE flag for various reasons.
            Last edited by chithanh; 12 June 2017, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X