Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenCL.org Restarting Work Porting GEGL To OpenCL

Phoronix: OpenCL.org Restarting Work Porting GEGL To OpenCL

The OpenCL.org community initiative is restarting efforts to port GEGL to OpenCL. GEGL is the library used by GIMP and other imaging applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this a typo, or totally intended?

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    fully by the still-indevelopment v2.10

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Is this a typo, or totally intended?
      Missed a dash, thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

With a lot of these projects, I wonder: why do they go for OpenCL and not Vulkan? Vulkan has both graphics and compute capabilities and apparently (from what I've heard) it can be great for both and it can allow for many performance optimisations. It also has no vendor bias and should work really well on all GPUs (unlike OpenCL, which does not have a decent implementation on many platforms, or CUDA, which is NVIDIA only). Why not just use Vulkan for compute-only applications without the graphics stuff?

That said, I have nearly-zero experience with GPU compute. I don't actually know what I am talking about, but it makes sense to me. If anyone can enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.

Comment

OpenCL can run on CPUs. I don't know of any CPU implementation of Vulkan, and even then I don't think it's one of the core goals of Vulkan.

Comment

Vulkan has a focus on stuff that is rendered and is aimed at graphics devices, whilst OpenCL is targeted at generic parallel computing and runs on many devices that aren't GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by peapa View Post
              OpenCL can run on CPUs. I don't know of any CPU implementation of Vulkan, and even then I don't think it's one of the core goals of Vulkan.
              Everyone seems to forget about this.

Comment

Working...
              X