No announcement yet.

Marek Threads RadeonSI Gallium3D, Big Performance Gains For Many Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonderful - CPU bound scenarios are the biggest issue currently. I'm very optimistic to see AMD GPUs on a comparable level with the open source driver like Nvidia cards with their closed drivers not too far in the future.

Comment

Good stuff, every little performance bump is appreciated. I've got a couple of CPU cores to spare in most Linux games anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
        Could someone please point out the essential differences between this work and the recently landed OpenGL threaded dispatch support? I didn't get it.
        this is the same but for gallium, not for opengl

Comment

Originally posted by Wielkie G View Post
          Doing it at OpenGL api layer is potentially more adventageus
          incorrect. you just said that when your progam is
          dostuff1
          dostuff2
          it is more advantageous to speedup dostuff1. in reality you have to speedup both

Comment

my hope is that ryzen with this will make all games playable

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              this is the same but for gallium, not for opengl
              Well OpenGL is implemented in Gallium too so that seems a bit strange to say
              Based on the email it seems about pipe_context, which I guess is about rendering.
              I'd guess that both could work together based on that.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                Well OpenGL is implemented in Gallium too so that seems a bit strange to say
                some part of opengl is implemented as gallium statetracker.(which is more user of gallium than gallium)
                subject is for lower part of gallium. just read my second comment in this thread
                Last edited by pal666; 11 May 2017, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
                  My gaming laptop has an unplugged mode that limits itself to 30 fps. If I turn that off it is quite likely to hit the system power limit. It already tries to burn itself up using about 60 W. That's in Windows.

It'd be nice if Linux had a way to set a system wide FPS limit for battery savings. All the way down to 20.
                  Actually, there is, at least for opengl:
                  GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

EDIT: Well not (very) usable system wide (the environment variable FPS needs to be set before starting the task you want to limit.) , but at least is something.

Last edited by kokoko3k; 11 May 2017, 06:52 AM.

Comment

I've had the impression that CPU was a frequent bottleneck to the AMD drivers for a while now, so this should be a very welcome boost and help close the performance gap. Makes me wonder if this actually removes the CPU bottleneck or just reduces it.

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
                    My gaming laptop has an unplugged mode that limits itself to 30 fps. If I turn that off it is quite likely to hit the system power limit. It already tries to burn itself up using about 60 W. That's in Windows.

It'd be nice if Linux had a way to set a system wide FPS limit for battery savings. All the way down to 20.
                    It should be possible, though maybe not totally convenient. In your xorg.conf, you can try setting your display refresh rate to 30Hz and under the "Device" section, use:
                    Option "TearFree" "on"
                    This should, in theory, force system-wide vsync at 30FPS. The inconvenience of this is you'd have to reboot or restart xserver every time you want to swap frame rates.
                    Last edited by schmidtbag; 11 May 2017, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      It should be possible, though maybe not totally convenient. In your xorg.conf, you can try setting your display refresh rate to 30Hz and under the "Device" section, use:
                      Option "TearFree" "on"
                      This should, in theory, force system-wide vsync at 30FPS. The inconvenience of this is you'd have to reboot or restart xserver every time you want to swap frame rates.
                      Couldn't he change the refresh rate using xrandr without restarting X? I think it should allow that, but I'm not sure, since I've never used it for that purpose.

Comment

Working...
                      X