Mesa's Shader Cache Will Now Occupy Less Disk Space

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
    I never had a game like that but you can probably give an example of a game installing crap on a drive.
    He was a bit exaggerating maybe, but it's not uncommon for AAA games to be like 60 GiB or more (especially if you add DLC). Case in point: GTA V, Battlefield 4.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      ???? shaders run on GPU, why the arch/bits of the processor is relevant? I don't know about Nine.

What I meant above is that the cached stuff becomes invalid if there is a Mesa version mismatch (like after you updated Mesa).
      They have to save some extra state together with the shaders. It could be made CPU independent. But I am not sure anyone cares.

Comment

???? shaders run on GPU, why the arch/bits of the processor is relevant? I don't know about Nine.

What I meant above is that the cached stuff becomes invalid if there is a Mesa version mismatch (like after you updated Mesa).
        The arch is/was relevant, because you can in theory have a different mesa versions installed for each arch. The first iteration deleted the whole cache when the versions didn't match and that would mean that if you first run a 64bit app and after that a 32bit app the cache items for the 64bit app would be gone. That's why the first iteration had a different cache folder for each arch.

The current version has only one cache folder. Cache items now get only deleted if the cache is full. The item with the oldelst last access times gets deleted first. This means that you can have the same shader cached multiple times for different mesa versions. Especially helpful if you regularly go back and forth between mesa version (e.g. for testing/development) where you now don't lose the complete cache for each version.

Comment

The shaders themselves are architecture independent, but they are generated and written to the cache by the mesa opengl driver code which runs on cpus. It therefore follows that you have different mesa libraries running for different architectures, and potentially different mesa version numbers for each one.

Comment

Working...
          X