Mesa 17.0.4 Released, Mesa 17.1 Has Been Branched & 17.1-RC1 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 17.0.4 Released, Mesa 17.1 Has Been Branched & 17.1-RC1 Released

Phoronix: Mesa 17.0.4 Released, Mesa 17.1 Has Been Branched & 17.1-RC1 Released

Emil Velikov has released Mesa 17.0.4 as the newest stable release to Mesa 17. Meanwhile, Mesa 17.1 is moving ahead for release next month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

which opengl version supports mesa 17?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
      Mesa 17.0.4 implements the OpenGL 4.5 API, but the version reported by glGetString(GL_VERSION) or glGetIntegerv(GL_MAJOR_VERSION) / glGetIntegerv(GL_MINOR_VERSION) depends on the particular driver being used. Some drivers don't support all the features required in OpenGL 4.5. OpenGL 4.5 is only available if requested at context creation because compatibility contexts are not supported.

Comment

OpenGL doesn't 'support' Mesa at all; it's the other way around. I assume you mean "Which OpenGL version is supported in Mesa 17?".

Comment

thanks for the reply: now I describe my experience: gt 730: mesa driver=3.0 nvidia driver=4.5 opengl. How is it possible this dichotomy?

Comment

Because the OpenGL compatibility profile will always stay at 3.0 with mesa. Core profile is at 4.5 though. Check to confirm:
            Code:
            glxinfo | grep -i opengl

Comment

Originally posted by Girolamo_Cavazzoni View Post
              Because the OpenGL compatibility profile will always stay at 3.0 with mesa. Core profile is at 4.5 though. Check to confirm:
              Code:
              glxinfo | grep -i opengl
              but what the fuck is this compatibility profile? why is it not directly on core profile!? How can I know if the system applies compliant or core profile? a normal user don't know about this workarounds! this dualism generates much confusion.

Comment

but what the fuck is this compatibility profile? why is it not directly on core profile!? How can I know if the system applies compliant or core profile? a normal user don't know about this workarounds! this dualism generates much confusion.
                Compat profile is for backwards compatibility with programs that aren't updated to use the new API. The GL library itself provides both, it's up to the app to pick one or the other.

It's a way of changing OpenGL without breaking everything.

TL;DR
                If your app says you still have 3.0, then your app is junk and needs to be updated.

Comment

This is the biggest problem I've had with Mesa drivers. They claim to support OpenGL 4.5, but in truth they don't. Many programs and games, including Steam for goodness sake, look at the compatibility profile version instead of the core profile. And evidently for some unknown reason Mesa will never fully support OpenGL 4.5. They simply claim that programs that look at the compatibility profile are "crap" or "have bugs". Of course the truth is that, as I said, many top flight programs have always used the compatibility profile.

By the way there are environment variables you can use that attempt to fool programs into thinking Mesa supports OpenGL 4.5, but unfortunately they've never worked for anything I've tried to run. In any case the two most relevant are "MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=450" and "MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5COMPAT"

If these don't work for you, and you have an AMD GPU, your only option is to try and use AMDGPU-PRO. However even if you can get the drivers to install (they only install on a few very specific systems), they're such a mess that you're liable just going to trade one set of problems for another. Specifically many programs, especially games, won't run with AMDGPU-PRO and if they do there are massive graphical errors.

Comment

thanks for the reply: now I describe my experience: gt 730: mesa driver=3.0 nvidia driver=4.5 opengl. How is it possible this dichotomy?
                    Well it is possible becuase there are two GL specs, with and without compat... Mesa choose to implment just this core spec, this one:

while nVidia and AMD drivers do core but also compatability too:

Basically compatibility is optional and problem is some apps use it It is maded that way because it was expected some apps to still use it... And OS_X and mesa choose to ingore that possibility, blah. blah...

Comment

Working...
                    X