Feral Now Formally Providing Free Linux Games To Mesa Developers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    I doubt that's a good idea, you'd end up with folks contributing a little one liner once just to get free games. I think Feral is more interested in proven qualified developers.
    Right in the article:

Feral is judging dedicated contributors by those with 25 or more commits to Mesa in the past five years

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

Right in the article:
      You misunderstood. I was responding to this....
      Originally posted by FishPls View Post
      Just a thought - maybe benefits like this would help with new people getting into Mesa development? Become a contributor to get some free games

Comment

You misunderstood. I was responding to this....
        I'm pretty sure FishPls wasn't suggesting that Feral should allow any contributor to get free games, but rather this existing provision can be seen as an incentive to encourage people to start contributing.

Comment

I doubt that's a good idea, you'd end up with folks contributing a little one liner once just to get free games. I think Feral is more interested in proven qualified developers.
          It takes 25 (or more) commits in the past five years. So, y'know, you'd have to contribute twenty-five one-liners.

And good luck finding a place where you can put in only a single line that's useful enough to get accepted by Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post

It takes 25 (or more) commits in the past five years. So, y'know, you'd have to contribute twenty-five one-liners.

And good luck finding a place where you can put in only a single line that's useful enough to get accepted by Mesa.
            Well, I sure am glad to see so many overreactions. Didn't you guys even read what I said? It's apparently obvious that they are looking for qualified individuals, I was being snarky and sarcastic to get that point across. But I guess sarcasm is a concept not well understood?

Comment

Oh horror. Now watch Mesa developer productivity go completely to shit as they spend their time playing games...

On a more serious note- will they provide free games for Phoronix? Because they should...

Comment

Those people should be so few if any so feral can survive it.
                When valve did the same we saw some that made small patches mostly for spelling errors, i only find it good that more people helps out and look at the patches and code.

Comment

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
                  Oh horror. Now watch Mesa developer productivity go completely to shit as they spend their time playing games...
                  I don't think it would be all that bad... If a developer runs into a graphics bug they are likely to go "grrrrrr!!!! I go fix dis right now!!!". We would get a lot more bug fixes though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                    When valve did the same we saw some that made small patches mostly for spelling errors, i only find it good that more people helps out and look at the patches and code.
                    Comment corrections/typos are all bundled into grouped (once a year?) check-ins so you can't try and 'game' the system (see what I did there). It would be pretty obvious if someone was trying to get 25 check-ins of purely comments just to get a Feral (and Valve) Steam key.

The idea behind this is to thank people who have been contributing useful improvements to Mesa for some time with some games and to also at the same time provide them with a bunch of complex test cases (many of our titles have benchmarks) that can be used when developing and improving Mesa going forward.

Comment

This is amazing, currently I saw on some IRC channels devs trying to do their best purchasing games to only analyze bottlenecks, and now they will be able to find how optimize the graphics implementations

Comment

Working...
                      X