Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out The New OpenGL Threaded Dispatch In Mesa 17.1

Phoronix: Trying Out The New OpenGL Threaded Dispatch In Mesa 17.1

At the beginning of today, OpenGL threaded dispatch landed in Mesa as work that's existed in patch form for years but was recently revived for Mesa Git due to the potential for significant performance gains in select scenarios...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's rather interesting. maybe something is not working properly?

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
      That's rather interesting. maybe something is not working properly?
      I think this will always remain very much a rather hit-or-miss affair, to make effective use of multithreading you just need an api which is properly designed for it. GL maybe even was when considering how the hw actually worked 25 years ago, but not for todays needs. And trying to reap benefits "behind the api's back" is probably never going to work well for all cases.

Comment

Strange. Something is obviously not working correctly. I remember seeing old benchmarks on borderlands and their was a big performance boost.

Reading other people testing it they noticed no framerate gains but claim it was often a smoother experience wit it enabled.

Hopefully we can see more testing and work done to figure out why its seemingly not giving the performance boost expected.

Comment

I don't see a Borderlands 2 benchmark here.

Comment

I'm producing the exact opposite results of Micheal. Bioshock and Borderlands 2 see gigantic performance increases. When I run Bioshock without mesa_glthread, it can barely maintain 50-60fps. When I enable it, I get 100+fps.

I'd do a benchmark, but I need to go to work in the morning.

i7-2600
            16GB DDR3 Ram
            RX480
            2TB HDD

I'm running ArchLinux with the latest updates and mesa-git:

lib32-mesa-git 17.1.0_devel.89956.124ec417f9-1
            lib32-mesa-libgl-git 17.1.0_devel.89956.124ec417f9-1
            mesa-git 17.1.0_devel.89956.124ec417f9-1
            mesa-libgl-git 17.1.0_devel.89956.124ec417f9-1
            lib32-llvm-libs-svn 5.0.0svn_r297958-1
            lib32-llvm-svn 5.0.0svn_r297958-1
            llvm-libs-svn 5.0.0svn_r297960-1
            llvm-svn 5.0.0svn_r297960-1

I wonder if it's Micheal's LLVM version.

Edit: I also have the same performance with Borderlands 2. Without mesa_glthread it runs at 40-60fps, but with it runs at 100+fps.
            Last edited by brandonp; 16 March 2017, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brandonp View Post
              I wonder if it's Micheal's LLVM version.
              Nah, it's probably the way the phoronix test suite extracts environment variables in the Steam game tests. Wouldn't be the first time it was screwing up tests - see the way it kept erroring out when Michael was trying to test the Talos Principle on radv, for example. He kept saying the driver was failing but it was an issue with his testing setup.

Comment

Someone on irc mentioned glthread on Borderlands 2 actually decrease performance using AMD Phenom x6.

Might be AMD topology diff hit something again, since Michael is on Ryzen

Total wild guess of course

But OK people reported improvments on Civ 5, Borderlands 2 / Pre Sequel, Bioshock... all 32bit apps, hmm... again wild guess what would be common
                Last edited by dungeon; 16 March 2017, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                  I don't see a Borderlands 2 benchmark here.
                  Oops, yes. I misread BioShock for borderlands. Still something not right as Brandon pointed out hes seeing a performance boost even on BioShock. I should really test myself, but my Linux install is barebones right now.

Comment

Originally posted by brandonp View Post
                    I'm producing the exact opposite results of Micheal. Bioshock and Borderlands 2 see gigantic performance increases. When I run Bioshock without mesa_glthread, it can barely maintain 50-60fps. When I enable it, I get 100+fps.
                    ------------------------------
                    Edit: I also have the same performance with Borderlands 2. Without mesa_glthread it runs at 40-60fps, but with it runs at 100+fps.
                    Thats impressive and closer to the results I had read about that was possible.

Comment

Working...
                    X