Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patches For FP64 Support For OpenGL 3.0 GPUs On Mesa

Phoronix: Patches For FP64 Support For OpenGL 3.0 GPUs On Mesa

Soft/emulated ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 support for GPUs not natively implementing double-precision/FP64 support is getting close in Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will this be enabled for Intel GPUs. Sandy Bridge GPUs would benefit from this feature.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post
      Will this be enabled for Intel GPUs. Sandy Bridge GPUs would benefit from this feature.
      Still no tessellation, so SNB can't go to 4.0.

Comment

Great news! Have been waiting for this a long time, since my HD 6450 card uses the R600g driver as well…
        Originally posted by Krejzi View Post

Still no tessellation, so SNB can't go to 4.0.
        What does "SNB" mean?

Cheers,
        Ignatiamus

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatiamus View Post
          Great news! Have been waiting for this a long time, since my HD 6450 card uses the R600g driver as well…

What does "SNB" mean?

Cheers,
          Ignatiamus
          Intel Sandy Bridge hardware is what SNB is short for.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            the rest of the HD 5000/6000 series line-up doesn't offer FP64 support and thus they are bound to OpenGL 3.3 rather than GL4
            I'd rather say AMD designed them to provide a "soft" solution instead of an on-chip one, as they're low-end parts, incapable of doing any serious FP64 calculations anyway. They were advertised and sold as full OGL4/DX11 compatible cards, so saying they're "bound" to 3.3 is not necessarily true. They're only bound in the heads of certain Mesa developers. Running official drivers exposes the feature and has always done so.

Comment

That's AMAZING! TGSI shader cache and now soft FP64, Mesa 17.1 is very exciting for R600 users.
              Thanks for all your work Elie!

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                They were advertised and sold as full OGL4/DX11 compatible cards, so saying they're "bound" to 3.3 is not necessarily true. They're only bound in the heads of certain Mesa developers.
                I don't think that last sentence is fair. The strongest statement I have heard in that regard is something along the lines of "I added fp64 support and made it work with chips with hardware fp64 support, but I don't have time to write emulation code for the other chips as well".

There was other discussion about the possibility of lying to the application and exposing higher GL levels without actually having fp64 support, but the conclusion was to wait for emulation code.
                Last edited by bridgman; 03 March 2017, 02:34 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

So, how fast is SW FP64 compared to HW FP32? Current generation HW FP64 for consumer cards sucks performance wise - somewhat for AMD, considerably for NVidia. Would be interesting to run the emulation on e.g. a RX460 or RX480 and compare it to the native FP64 performance.

Comment

Intel guys are already protesting because they want it implemented in NIR.

Comment

Working...
                    X