RADV Mesa 17.1-dev vs. AMDGPU-PRO 16.60 Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    BangoMopar Yes winning and in the end i am sure we get opensource Firmware to.

Even if we need to force the companies by law to open up the Firmware.
    LOL. You're going to outlaw proprietary software?

Good luck with that.

Comment

Qaridarium, tcpdump or it didn't happen. Unless you're suggesting the entire network industry is colluding with the GPU manufacturers.
      ​​​​​I used to be in the network industry too.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Nobody has the same hardware resources that a gpu manufacturer has. Open source freaks can not test and are missing gpu driver development experience. It is paranoid to see trojans everywhere.
        Read again what he wrote. No, it's not paranoid to see trojans everywhere. It's indication of being sane. Only morons ignore such things.

Comment

I wish I could update my profile picture with this one

Last edited by lucrus; 18 February 2017, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            Nobody has the same hardware resources that a gpu manufacturer has. Open source freaks can not test and are missing gpu driver development experience. It is paranoid to see trojans everywhere.
            I think it's the whole opposite. You couldn't deliver the quality the Linux kernel has in a company with closed sources and limited resources. There are not enough eyes watching, not enough brains working and not enough ideas being implemented on the long run. So for the basic system I believe that open sources are always the best way to found third party closed source innovative software which is also necessary until it gets common and is also implemented in a free version.

Though I'm happy with the current situation and for security reasons there might also be other ARM hardware or something that exposes all hardware interfaces completely and doesn't have to be too competitive in the future.

Comment

From my testing at 3840x2160 with a r9 Nano radv git is faster than AMDGPU-PRO 16.60 Vulkan in Dota2. There was a some change in git before, "fast clears were enabled by default" that made the game silky smooth and that does not drop framerate so much during high combat compared to 16.60. The 16.60 binary becomes unbearable during high action. All Dota2 settings are maxed out except for High Quality Water.

Also can you post opensource overclocked settings in the future? I just learned HBM can do a 20% overclock on this card with "echo 20 > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_mclk_od" (valid values 0-20) and "echo 5 > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_sclk_od" for gpu overclock (valid values 0-20).

Comment

Originally posted by charlie View Post
                From my testing at 3840x2160 with a r9 Nano radv git is faster than AMDGPU-PRO 16.60 Vulkan in Dota2. There was a some change in git before, "fast clears were enabled by default" that made the game silky smooth and that does not drop framerate so much during high combat compared to 16.60. The 16.60 binary becomes unbearable during high action. All Dota2 settings are maxed out except for High Quality Water.
                the 2-3 rad-v devs at valve have access to dota2 source code apart from the driver. I wonder if that helps in any way.

Comment

Is it possible that the difference in performance for higher resolution is in favor for AMDGPU PRO because of the missing ETC2 texture compression and ASTC LDR texture compression? There could be a bottleneck with the bus bandwidth without compression I assume. Does anyone know something about it?

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
                    I wish I could update my profile picture with this one

That picture is perfection! So true!

Comment

Originally posted by NihilMomentum View Post

That picture is perfection! So true!
                      This should be a Sticky!

Comment

Working...
                      X