Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Applications 17.04 To Be Released 20 April

Phoronix: KDE Applications 17.04 To Be Released 20 April

The release schedule for the upcoming KDE Applications 17.04 has been firmed up...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if they will package all their apps in flatpak at the same time too. that'd be an interesting release option

Comment

I don't see Flatpak/Snap happening for this release. Maybe 17.08? Let's see what happens in the packaging format war. I tried Snap packaging for my application but they're still some rough edges to work out, and some changes to my own application to work it work in confinement mode. I'd imagine the same thing with flatpaks. I'll just try again when the dust settles, I'll use the resilient Debs for now

Comment

if im right k3b 2.10 or whatever it'll be numbered will be in this release? afaik its been ported over to kf5 or something like that

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
          if im right k3b 2.10 or whatever it'll be numbered will be in this release? afaik its been ported over to kf5 or something like that
          k3b is already in Neon, so it's probably already in some version of Applications. See: https://plus.google.com/113043070111...ts/AvxuKo6EVnf

Comment

I hope they'll finally get this wreckage fixed. KDE^H^H^H Plasma 5, or whatever we're to call it, does have some nice features, yes. But when I switched not too long ago there were still several important packages still stuck on kdelibs(4). So I kinda ended up having both. Some things just crash, some even reproducibly. (no strange CLFAGs used) Some things do not work as intended, others do not honour some settnings and the default theming (breeze etc., noto fonts) looks too much like Windows 8 or something.
            I was really fine with KDE 4, few hiccups here and there but not worse than anything else. KDE5 was a disapointment - and here one cannot blame the distributors for releasing a developer stage onto the end users. No, this time KDE folks officially declared 5 to be ready and obsoleted KDE4. So people were forced to move. But then 5 should have been ready - but in my eyes it wasn't.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

KDE desktop on april distro's releases will be fully wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                KDE desktop on april distro's releases will be fully wayland?
                Probably not. It's pretty much usable on Wayland, judging from people's reports, but afaik there's more work to be done. And if it's not all finished today, it's probably too late for April releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                  KDE^H^H^H Plasma 5, or whatever we're to call it
                  It's been *8 YEARS* since they rebranded ( https://dot.kde.org/2009/11/24/repositioning-kde-brand ). KDE is the community, Plasma is the desktop, KDE Apps are those that use KDE libraries / frameworks. All the cells in your body have been replaced since then, not understanding by now is stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

k3b is already in Neon, so it's probably already in some version of Applications. See: https://plus.google.com/113043070111...ts/AvxuKo6EVnf
                    hmm ok thanks, i wasnt sure of where it was now.

Comment

Working...
                    X