Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outreachy Applications Now Open For Their 2017 Summer Internships

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Outreachy Applications Now Open For Their 2017 Summer Internships

    Phoronix: Outreachy Applications Now Open For Their 2017 Summer Internships

    For those eligible, Outreachy is accepting applications for their summer 2017 internship period if you wish to get paid while getting involved with open-source software...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...17-Summer-Apps

  • #2
    Now more than ever we need to support minority causes. That why I give money to Planned Parenthood and ACLU. However, when I give money to a project, I expect it to be used for that project, not diverted to some unrelated social cause. Considering how poisonous these self-absorbed SJW's have been to our community (looking at you Sarah Sharp and Leah Rowe), does Gnome need to get involved?

    Gnome should stay clear. They should make decisions based purely on technical merits to maximize their limited resources.
    Last edited by slacka; 02-16-2017, 09:18 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      "other than Crimea, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria, or Sudan"

      This is discriminatory. Why should developers who identify 'as a women (cis or trans), trans men, or genderqueer people (including genderfluid or genderfree)' from those countries be denied consideration due to geopolitical circumstances outside their individual doing? If the GNOME Foundation is fearful of running afoul of US sanctions and that is driving its lack of inclusiveness in this regard, perhaps it should headquarter itself elsewhere. Or grow a pair.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by eidolon View Post
        "other than Crimea, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria, or Sudan"

        This is discriminatory. Why should developers who identify 'as a women (cis or trans), trans men, or genderqueer people (including genderfluid or genderfree)' from those countries be denied consideration due to geopolitical circumstances outside their individual doing? If the GNOME Foundation is fearful of running afoul of US sanctions and that is driving its lack of inclusiveness in this regard, perhaps it should headquarter itself elsewhere. Or grow a pair.
        They're american and if there's one thing yanks do well, it's being self-centered narcissists. Just look at how they actively ignore women's rights issues in the middle east and the Muslim world (where women lack basic rights like being able to vote, whose testimony in court is by law worth less than half of a man along with just mind boggling things like not being allowed to drive a car). When you point this out to them they usually react by calling you a racist even thou Islam is a religion with followers belonging to every race on the planet.
        "Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without wanting to invent any more of it."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by eidolon View Post
          Or grow a pair.
          This is US law.

          Comment


          • #6
            What about white people from South Africa?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bkor View Post
              This is US law.
              I acknowledged that this is a result of overreaching US sanctions; that doesn't make it right.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by eidolon View Post
                I acknowledged that this is a result of overreaching US sanctions; that doesn't make it right.
                It does mean that they can't just ignore it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                  It does mean that they can't just ignore it.
                  Disobedience of a law on principle is a choice, and there may be consequences for taking a stand sometimes. Or reconstitute elsewhere. But this is a boat that should be rocked.
                  Last edited by eidolon; 02-18-2017, 08:06 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by eidolon View Post
                    Disobedience of a law on principle is a choice, and there may be consequences for taking a stand sometimes. Or reconstitute elsewhere. But this is a boat that should be rocked.
                    For individuals, perhaps. For a non-profit U.S organization, the consequences are pretty clear. They will be shutdown.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X