No announcement yet.

Valve Planning To Carry Mesa GL Thread Feature On SteamOS, Per-Game Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What people talking about here, Google recently released (not sure if Michael mentioned that) GoogleEarth Pro first time for Linux native including 32bit version

32bit is more alive than someone might think If Arch Linux plan to drop 32bit, just drop it that is OK if you want... but please don't be a troll

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      there was intel processor without (backwards-compatible) 32bit support. everyone uses amd64 which was carefully designed with 32 bit support. guess why
      good for you then, you can switch to risc-v
      Woops, that was a typo (sort of). I meant "Of course, having a way to play old 32 bits games on my old PC would be nice, but that's something I'm prepared to do without."
      What I meant is that if the steam client were to disappear completely from 32 bit setups, I wouldn't mind that much (It's not my main PC, I will change it at some point in the future, and meanwhile there's always steamCMD, an older steam client build, and the DRM-free games I have -- on steam and outside). I will also need to install something else than Arch... :P

Technically, I wouldn't be against switching to risc-v either, to be fair, but support here might be a bit more complicated... And we still don't have full CPU dies, AFAIK.

Comment

for a game platform it's a good ideia, for the anti32-bit guys valve will not move their client for 64 soon and old games need 32 bits because they are made in 32 bits, I don't see the point of discussions about this

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
          for a game platform it's a good ideia, for the anti32-bit guys valve will not move their client for 64 soon and old games need 32 bits because they are made in 32 bits, I don't see the point of discussions about this
          Because 32bit is stupid for two main reasons: needing multi-libs and security. 64bit makes the address space obviously *much* bigger to succeed in a heap stray, remember steam runs a web browser as well so its a good target, especially when there is large attack surface to shove malicious links somewhere in that steam community ecosystem.

Comment

Do they allow games "ported" using Wine? I mean, if the developer packages their game with Wine, would Steam be ok with it?

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
              Do they allow games "ported" using Wine? I mean, if the developer packages their game with Wine, would Steam be ok with it?
              My understanding was that for the game to keep the SteamOS icon it has to not have any launcher windows - so assuming it can launch fullscreen from big picture mode I assume it could be fine considering theres some RTS games that are wine wrapped on SteamOS.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
                Sure, there are multiple old games "ported" just like that on Steam right now (same thing for DOSBox). Many people hate this, but I'm ok with this approach for older titles, as long as the devs test it and support this setup so it works flawlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  good for you then, you can switch to risc-v
                  Show me a RISC-V system that's at least on par in performance with a Raspberry Pi that one can actually buy and I'll be off … but I don't think you can.

Comment

Originally posted by funfunctor View Post
                    Because 32bit is stupid for two main reasons: needing multi-libs and security
                    unless you have proprietary 32bit apps. like, you know, games

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                      Show me a RISC-V system that's at least on par in performance with a Raspberry Pi that one can actually buy and I'll be off … but I don't think you can.
                      the real issue is when i will be able to show it, it still will not run my games

Comment

Working...
                      X