Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leigh123linux View Post
    AMD say they were considering using glvnd
    they said it is not on their roadmap. anyway, atm they don't support it, so the only reason is nvidia

Comment

Originally posted by leigh123linux View Post
      If you don't like the direction fedora is taking you are free to go back to Windoze or. Ubuntu
      lol, fedora is taking directiont towards windoze and ubuntu - both of them have proprietary nvidia shit by default. your suggestion only highlights your confusion

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        Your responses are childish.
        If you didn't read his original post, here it is again:

Originally posted by hansdegoede View Post
        Hi All,

So as the person who has lately been pusing libglvnd forward in Fedora (many others have worked on this before me) I 'm going to comment on this thread here once and only once as there are a few things which I believe need to be said <std-disclaimer> note this is my personal view on this and I'm speaking on behalf of Red Hat here</std-disclaimer>:

1) I'm not trying to get libglvnd into Fedora because NVidia is pushing me to do so. I'm solely working on this to improve the Fedora user-experience for the many people who want to use the NVIDIA binary drivers. IOW I'm doing this for our users not for NVIDIA.

2) I handled the situation with Sway breaking badly, as soon as I knew Sway was broken I should have fixed that first before moving forward with the Fedora 25 update. As said I'm doing this for our users and I should have taken into account ALL our users and I apologize for this.

3) Please remember to be excellent to each other, some things have been said in this comment thread which are not Fedora contributor worthy.

Regards,

Hans

Comment

If AMD has already acknowledged glvnd, then it does appear that having something like glvnd is simply a matter of good OS architecture.

And glvnd is open source. AMD is not purely open source either. One could argue that any open-source efforts from Nvidia (or any other company that has difficulty providing software in open source) are especially support-worthy. Other than being mostly closed-source, Nvidia provides first-class support for Linux, and also ships Linux as the OS on many of its products, such as single-board computers that go into cars.

Fedora, like other distributions, has the policy of giving a certain level of support for closed-source applications, and closed-source vendor-provided drivers for vendor-specific hardware.

That just appears to be how it is in general. My personal opinion is that it could be even more so.

Comment

who told you this bullshit? so there is no prime in your version of reality?
            PRIME only deals with kernel and X11 modules. It doesn't deal with the userland library. Your application knows that libGL.so (or libOpenGL.so as well now) contains an OpenGL implementation but it doesn't know to what vendor. If you have two GPUs on a computer, how do you know what vendor you're using? Instead of changing the ABI drastically, libglvnd instead hides the real vendor libraries behind the dispatch libraries that look the exact same as a standard libGL.so implementation to the application. It then determines what vendor library to use based on the screen you are rendering to and the rendering context associated with it.

To give an example of the use of GLVND without NVidia being involved, GLVND can be useful for an AMD dGPU and an Intel iGPU, regardless if they are supported in open-source or proprietary software.
            Last edited by computerquip; 06 February 2017, 10:58 PM.

Comment

i'm pretty sure windows works nicely on your nvidia hardware. let us replace your(and everyone else btw) fedora with windows then?
              sorry mate, i dont use Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by indepe View Post
                If AMD has already acknowledged glvnd, then it does appear that having something like glvnd is simply a matter of good OS architecture.

And glvnd is open source. AMD is not purely open source either. One could argue that any open-source efforts from Nvidia (or any other company that has difficulty providing software in open source) are especially support-worthy. Other than being mostly closed-source, Nvidia provides first-class support for Linux, and also ships Linux as the OS on many of its products, such as single-board computers that go into cars.

Fedora, like other distributions, has the policy of giving a certain level of support for closed-source applications, and closed-source vendor-provided drivers for vendor-specific hardware.

That just appears to be how it is in general. My personal opinion is that it could be even more so.
                I think the policy is largely not to severely intentionally break workflows for users using closed-source software. The software are still not as such supported, it's mainly a matter of caring about the end users

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

I think the policy is largely not to severely intentionally break workflows for users using closed-source software. The software are still not as such supported, it's mainly a matter of caring about the end users
                  So "caring about the end user" is not actually part of the policy itself?

Comment

Hi guys!

necro-bumping this thread to let loose a torrent of my HATE for libglvnd.. because my desktop is once again stuck with a completely broken X system.

It has caused me nothing but misery. The bloody thing stealth installs as a dependency to mesa in Fedora 25, and immediately breaks libGL.so. The only way to fix this is to remove all libglvnd-* packages, which removes roughly 400 other packages as dependencies, and then slowly reinstall everything by hand as to not accidentally reinstall libglvnd.

I would not shed a tear if it went the way of devfs.

Comment

Working...
                    X