Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 25 Using GLVND For Mesa Has Been Causing Headaches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fedora 25 Using GLVND For Mesa Has Been Causing Headaches

    Phoronix: Fedora 25 Using GLVND For Mesa Has Been Causing Headaches

    The decision to switch Mesa to enabling GLVND support in Fedora 25 as a post-release change has been causing headaches for some users...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...LVND-Headaches

  • #2
    Looks like the issue has been taken care of upstream: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1413579#c42

    Comment


    • #3
      Michael This was a stupid decision that was warned about the in bodhi: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/upda...017-9f6383547e

      The Fedora project is pissing off some community members including myself in that they make their corporate decisions when it suits them like this one where there is some agreement between Nvidia and RH while ignoring the community.

      Things like bumping LLVM https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1354096 and https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1381109 for radeonsi to the point that it become broken https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1413888 and a number of other things. Its really bull shit and it makes me furious this is happening with Fedora.
      Last edited by funfunctor; 02-04-2017, 07:04 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by funfunctor View Post
        Michael This was a stupid decision that was warned about the in bodhi: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/upda...017-9f6383547e

        The Fedora project is pissing off some community members including myself in that they make their corporate decisions when it suits them like this one where there is some agreement between Nvidia and RH while ignoring the community.

        Things like bumping LLVM https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1354096 and https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1381109 for radeonsi to the point that it become broken https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1413888 and a number of other things. Its really bull shit and it makes me furious this is happening with Fedora.
        That's why there's updates-testing. I, like many others, had Steam games no longer starting after the GLVND update. We reached out to the maintainers and developers, and got the problem fixed. And I would love to see llvm 3.9 in F25, so that I can finally have OpenGL 4.5 on my AMD cards.
        You seem to be upset by bugs that never actually reached the stable repository, if you track updates-testing, you consider yourself a tester and should expect bugs.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by r1348 View Post

          That's why there's updates-testing. I, like many others, had Steam games no longer starting after the GLVND update. We reached out to the maintainers and developers, and got the problem fixed. And I would love to see llvm 3.9 in F25, so that I can finally have OpenGL 4.5 on my AMD cards.
          You seem to be upset by bugs that never actually reached the stable repository, if you track updates-testing, you consider yourself a tester and should expect bugs.
          Well if you read the initial reports on bodhi testers that had sway were being told they don't matter and the maintainer had never even heard of it before. It was only until enough community members pushed back it got fixed up a little more.

          I am upset by the attitude and prioritization than the specific bug, I pointed to the bugzilla reports to provide evidence to what my assertions are above.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hopefully they will sort this out.
            GLVND in Mesa is also a needed piece to correctly support the proprietary driver with DRI_PRIME on muxless Optimus laptops.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by funfunctor View Post
              Michael This was a stupid decision that was warned about the in bodhi: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/upda...017-9f6383547e

              The Fedora project is pissing off some community members including myself in that they make their corporate decisions when it suits them like this one where there is some agreement between Nvidia and RH while ignoring the community.

              Things like bumping LLVM https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1354096 and https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1381109 for radeonsi to the point that it become broken https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1413888 and a number of other things. Its really bull shit and it makes me furious this is happening with Fedora.
              Feodra is about bleeding edge (well, maybe not at Arch level, but still). You can't use Fedora and complain about features enabled prematurely. Hell, the whole distribution is a prving ground for RHEL (albeit rather capable by itself).
              You're doing it wrong, kid.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by spykes View Post
                GLVND in Mesa is also a needed piece to correctly support the proprietary driver with DRI_PRIME on muxless Optimus laptops.
                what do you mean by "also"? the whole point of glvnd is to allow installation of proprietary nvidia shit on dual-gpu systems

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Hell, the whole distribution is a prving ground for RHEL (albeit rather capable by itself).
                  in the same sense as the whole debian is a proving ground for ubuntu

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                    You seem to be upset by bugs that never actually reached the stable repository, if you track updates-testing, you consider yourself a tester and should expect bugs.
                    One of the glaring problems here is that the update reached the stable repo (at first with broken dependencies) and stayed there long enough to break several users desktops and caused at least one machine to not boot, because of dependency issues.

                    There's a clear policy a maintainer has to follow and in this case it was not followed. This change has not been announced, discussed and tested properly as one would expect from a stable distro. In addition to that, the maintainer ignored issues pointed out to him early and decided that he (personally) doesn't consider that specific breakage to be a blocker, because he never heard of the broken package (sway/wlc). To be fair, he later fixed all of the mentioned issues, but without proper testing it cannot be blindly assumed that such an invasive change can be done without breaking other packages, and therefore special care has to be taken (and processes followed) if such an update is targeted to go into stable. I don't know how long this update has been in rawhide before being pushed to updates-testing, but I would expect it to have been there at least a couple of weeks to ensure that there's no obvious breakage. I think the sway breakage would likely have been found there in advance.

                    Edit: The update reached stable through another bodhi package created by another maintainer with bugfixes for mesa, but without the libglvnd dependency. So this was effectively an issue caused by bodhi allowing two active mesa package updates to be in updates-testing simultaneously.

                    Edit2: Oh, the sway breakage actually has been found on rawhide 3 days before it was pushed to f25 updates-testing (and after just ~2 days in rawhide)...

                    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    Feodra is about bleeding edge (well, maybe not at Arch level, but still).
                    Fedora Rawhide is bleeding edge. Fedora stable is a distro aimed at developers, that want to work productively and that would rather not have their workspace broken.
                    Last edited by johnp117; 02-04-2017, 12:46 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X