OpenGL Shader Cache Support For RadeonSI Is Making Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
    I was going to make a comment on how this shouldn't have much performance gain, if any at all. Then I came to learn that some games compile shaders in the middle of their game, which is a major problem in OpenGL. Why do people do this?
    possibly to dynamically react to the gameplay, possibly for performance reasons

Comment

I am completely confused by Mesa development process. As far as I understand, it is: post patches, get review, push into the main repo. But I look the mailing list sometimes, and in reality it doesn't work like this. E.g. the disk shader patches were posted 23 January, and aside of 5 preliminary patches didn't get any review. Looks like a bad sign, but the same was for big gallium-nine patchset (in December?), which nobody didn't even bother to review, but it was pushed nonetheless. And then there're patches that getting review, but nobody pushes, or patches like this one that even should go into stable, but didn't get "reviewed by".

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
        I am completely confused by Mesa development process. As far as I understand, it is: post patches, get review, push into the main repo. But I look the mailing list sometimes, and in reality it doesn't work like this. E.g. the disk shader patches were posted 23 January, and aside of 5 preliminary patches didn't get any review. Looks like a bad sign, but the same was for big gallium-nine patchset (in December?), which nobody didn't even bother to review, but it was pushed nonetheless. And then there're patches that getting review, but nobody pushes, or patches like this one that even should go into stable, but didn't get "reviewed by".
        That's more complicated than that.

devs use irc a lot in addition to the mailing list.

Patches don't require reviews to be pushed if the author is trusted and the affected code is his area of expertise (Especially if that's an area other devs are not confident with). Patches that may be controversial, or touch different areas need more to be reviewed.
        A patch may be reviewed, and get pushed later in a bigger package. Also a review doesn't mean it's going to be pushed, for example if the author decides to do with another approach for the patch.

Comment

Any plans for r600 as well?

Comment

Originally posted by adler187 View Post
            Any plans for r600 as well?
            Well, the patchset I linked in the prev. comment says "Hardware agnostic on-disk shader cache", so yes, it should work for r600 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
              not so much, dota benchmark +3-4 fps
              every benchmark run or only first? only first is useless

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                I was going to make a comment on how this shouldn't have much performance gain, if any at all. Then I came to learn that some games compile shaders in the middle of their game
                such compilations are still cached by in-memory cache, so this still shouldn't have much performance gain, if any at all.
                Last edited by pal666; 04 February 2017, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                  Well, the patchset I linked in the prev. comment says "Hardware agnostic on-disk shader cache", so yes, it should work for r600 as well.
                  Well the on-disk shader cache was originally only hooked up for i965. Now it's getting hooked up for radeonsi. I was just wondering if anyone was going to bother with doing the same for r600.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    every benchmark run or only first? only first is useless
                    for pts every run is the first, so with disk cache stable +2-3 fps

Comment

Originally posted by adler187 View Post

Well the on-disk shader cache was originally only hooked up for i965. Now it's getting hooked up for radeonsi. I was just wondering if anyone was going to bother with doing the same for r600.
                      Ah, I see… Until now I was thinking it's in the part of Mesa shared between all drivers, and is transparent for them. I am still not sure it's not so, it would seem odd…

Comment

Working...
                      X