Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL Shader Cache Support For RadeonSI Is Making Progress

Phoronix: OpenGL Shader Cache Support For RadeonSI Is Making Progress

Last week we reported that Collabora developer Timothy Arceri would be trying to support Mesa's OpenGL shader cache with RadeonSI while since then work has begun to materialize...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am looking forward to seeing how much of an impact this actually has!

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
      not so much, dota benchmark +3-4 fps, loading time for Deus Ex, the biggest effect is that with shader cache min fps is much higher and no big fps drops when hundreds of shaders are created at the same time.

Comment

I was going to make a comment on how this shouldn't have much performance gain, if any at all. Then I came to learn that some games compile shaders in the middle of their game, which is a major problem in OpenGL. Why do people do this?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post

not so much, dota benchmark +3-4 fps, loading time for Deus Ex, the biggest effect is that with shader cache min fps is much higher and no big fps drops when hundreds of shaders are created at the same time.
            Well that and load times is the only reason for an on-disk shader cache to exist. It's not intended to bring greater fps, if you are seeing a jump in fps it just means the benchmark is not long enough for the drops to become averaged out, the shaders are really nasty to compile or there is just a bunch of them being compiled throughout the benchmark, none of these should really cause better fps in normal gaming. The cache is just to smooth out those drops and speed up load times.

Comment

Impact depends how much fast is your CPU, on fastest CPU impact is smaller on slowest CPU it should be bigger... Basically this just avoid CPU to compile shaders non stop, instead compile it once, other times just read from cache.

Comment

Dota2 and dirt benchmarks
                OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Comment

No benchmarks needed, just imagine comfort of driving tank and formula at the same speed

That should be experience difference if some game compile shaders during gameplay.
                  Last edited by dungeon; 04 February 2017, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                    I was going to make a comment on how this shouldn't have much performance gain, if any at all. Then I came to learn that some games compile shaders in the middle of their game, which is a major problem in OpenGL. Why do people do this?
                    Ironically, I believe it's to reduce loading times by loading assets on demand as required rather than pre-loading everything, required or not. Apart from loading times, hopefully it makes games that do this a little smoother, although it should be noted that this probably won't help the pauses in Rocket League and possibly some others.

I think Marek's preferred approached as been to use an in-memory cache to try to help reduce these stalls but that only applies on subsequent compiles so doesn't reduce initial loading times or the stalls when the assets are first compiled during play.

Edit: Forgot to mention Marek was also working on other features that would help speed up compilation and reduce stalls.
                    Last edited by ResponseWriter; 07 February 2017, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X