Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Mesa Work Coming Out Of Imagination Tech?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    Their Android drivers aren't (at least those in production use), and Android is a Linux distribution.
    Then there is the unfortunate situation with the GMA500/600/3600 where Intel doesn't even attempt to provide fully featured Linux open source drivers.
    One might think that they learned from that debacle, but no, their Atom X3 SoFIA parts now use Mali graphics. Again without open source drivers.

I believe the open source drivers for Intel GPUs are limited to the chips with Intel created graphics. Any other GPU drivers will just be repackaged IT code.

I wish Apple would just buy the rest of IT and bring them in house so that their IP is never used in a non-Apple chip again.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post

Actually, they are, but I don't see how that related to the issue.

Does Intel employ developers to do open source GPU code for their devices? Yes. How many? Phoronix: Lots!
      Intel do not yet vend any ARM SoC's (at least in any story I have seen, and it would be big news if they did). They do have an ARM license of some sort and from what I understand this means that they will be able to contract manufacture ARM SoC's for select companies in the future (e.g. apple).

Intel also do not always use their own graphics IP. When they do, there is good open source support. They have previously used PowerVR in some products (some Atoms if I recall) - and that requires the use of proprietary code of the graphics IP vendor.

Comment

Originally posted by boltronics View Post
        So maybe I will order a Pyra after all? I won't if I have to stick with proprietary drivers for graphics, so time will tell - it'll be very interesting to see if IT releases anything.
        If IMGTEC ever opensourced anything, chances that it would be SGX (i.e. series 5) are nil. Perhaps something from series 6 up.. Just use your imagination : )

ps: their proprietary SGX drivers work fine on the mips creator board. If only the fpu on that Ingenic core was worth a dime (hint: it's not pipelined).

Comment

Originally posted by boltronics View Post
          So maybe I will order a Pyra after all? I won't if I have to stick with proprietary drivers for graphics, so time will tell - it'll be very interesting to see if IT releases anything.
          I have hard time here resisting throwing money at the display... Especially if the drivers are opened.

Comment

I believe the open source drivers for Intel GPUs are limited to the chips with Intel created graphics. Any other GPU drivers will just be repackaged IT code.
            To my knowledge, Intel outsourced PowerVR Linux driver development to Tungsten Graphics, but I am not 100% sure.
            Plus Mali (in Atom X3) is not from ImgTec.

I wish Apple would just buy the rest of IT and bring them in house so that their IP is never used in a non-Apple chip again.
            Apple is probably working on their own GPU, the job listings some time ago seemed to indicate so. ImgTec is now more or less dependent on iPhone, so probably can't prevent their IP draining to Apple.

Comment

Actually, they are, but I don't see how that related to the issue.
              actually they are not and imagination is an arm gpu vendor.
              Does Intel employ developers to do open source GPU code for their devices? Yes. How many? Phoronix: Lots!
              so is amd. desktop gpus are solved problem. but when you buy arm device, you don't have your intel developers anymore

Comment

Working...
              X