Older Intel Graphics To Drop From OpenGL 2.1 To 1.4 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I don't see why this patch would be welcome to industrial applications, where they're not using OpenGL 2 applications in the first place (and if they are, it shouldn't affect performance enough to be a problem). In other words, they wouldn't really be affected by this either way.
    Ummm, I said
    "devices where this patch is either welcome (they aren't using a full-bling DE anyway because of other reasons) or totally irrelevant".

Comment

I fully support doing this properness on any driver... As this is OpenGL and not User Experience API 2

And with OpenGL i mean OpenGL by the specs and what hardware really can do, but not "It's Meant To be Played" User Experience API
      Last edited by dungeon; 30 January 2017, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
        Sorry, I didn't see why. E.g. as a student working just 20h. per week I'm having ≈134$ per month. So I couldn't afford a sub-300$ notebook, because those are money just for food, electricity, etc. But I can afford 15Mbit internet connection, it costs just ≈9$/month.

Note, it's not exactly mine situation, I've got some money for working full-time before, but I have a reason to hold them for awhile.
        If you are half-knowledgeable about computers in general (or know someone that is) you can get a ton of bang for 100 bucks spent on an used laptop, easily outperforming whatever shit is sold in the sub-300$ range new.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't see why. E.g. as a student working just 20h. per week I'm having ≈134$ per month. So I couldn't afford a sub-300$ notebook, because those are money just for food, electricity, etc. But I can afford 15Mbit internet connection, it costs just ≈9$/month.
          That's what loans are for, or school library PCs. In order to pay your loans, that's what your education is for. If your education isn't likely to get you a job, maybe you should've thought of that before going to college in the first place, in which case, it's your own fault you can't afford a cheap laptop.

People really need to stop going into things so blindly. If a life decision requires you to depend on something that you can't afford, you have already made a mistake. There's a reason why higher education was only available to the wealthy for centuries.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            If you are half-knowledgeable about computers in general (or know someone that is) you can get a ton of bang for 100 bucks spent on an used laptop, easily outperforming whatever shit is sold in the sub-300$ range new.
            ≈½ of those moneys gets spent for electricity, heating, and alike needs, including internet. So 67$ left — they're the money for food for a month, and accumulating 100$ is not the easiest thing. Again, specifically I am have the money, but if I were relying only on those 134$ per month, it'd be far from easy.

Comment

≈½ of those moneys gets spent for electricity, heating, and alike needs, including internet. So 67$ left — they're the money for food for a month, and accumulating 100$ is not the easiest thing. Again, specifically I am have the money, but if I were relying only on those 134$ per month, it'd be far from easy.
              Well you don't buy computer every month, most buy that and use it for years... I think most used it up to or in the range of 3-6 years on average typically, but of course there always extremes
              Last edited by dungeon; 30 January 2017, 05:56 PM.

Comment

That's what loans are for, or school library PCs.
                School library PC would be those old machines with i915 driver :Ь And I'm not sure why did you mention them anyway — we were talking about buying a higher than 300$ notebook, didn't we?
                In order to pay your loans, that's what your education is for.
                Are you talking about scholarship? I'm not getting it because I'm on remote education. But just FYI, I searched around a bit, so, the highest scholarship I'd get in the usual education if I was getting only As, would be 100$, still not much. In my particular city I think it's even less — unfortunately couldn't find an info for exact amounts.
                If your education isn't likely to get you a job, maybe you should've thought of that before going to college in the first place, in which case, it's your own fault you can't afford a cheap laptop.
                Well, it gave me a job, to the place where I'm working I initially was directed for practicing. By the end of the practice they offered me a job, and I agreed. Back then it was awesome job btw, you can't believe how much I learned there. But by now it exhausted itself, and I decided to focus on my math knowledge. I tried to quit actually (to rely for awhile on accumulated moneys), but the boss offered to work "half-time", I agreed.
                People really need to stop going into things so blindly.
                I always go with the most optimal decision. Granted, I make mistakes — but they're because I was lacking some info for the situation, not because I "did something blindly".
                If a life decision requires you to depend on something that you can't afford, you have already made a mistake. There's a reason why higher education was only available to the wealthy for centuries.
                Who said I rely on that? I have a good laptop with Radeon HD5730, and a 1920×1080 external screen, from which I'm writing this. Before quitting to that low salary I did everything I could predict for the near future. What I'm trying to say is that it's quite common for a student to lack money, and hence not being able to afford a "higher than 300$ notebook". Except for loans, of course — never thought about them.

Comment

Hi-Angel
                  Keep in mind, I'm not implying you specifically and I'm not pointing fingers at you. I figured it was implied you were no longer a student, so I know most of what I said doesn't apply to you in particular. That being said, you don't seem like an idiot who blindly makes stupid life choices and then decides to whine about how you can't afford anything.

Though, I would like to point out I said "lower than $300", not higher.

Anyway, yes, it is common for a student to lack money, but that is no excuse. I knew someone in highschool who was so poor that he couldn't even afford a Windows license (he didn't know how to use Linux either), let alone a drivers license. Yet, he managed to work hard and got tens of thousands of dollars worth of grants/scholarships and today he's in Forbe's 30-under-30 list. Obviously, not everyone is that lucky/blessed/skilled/whatever, but the point ultimately remains the same:
                  If you can't afford to do/buy something because of a choice you made, you either don't need it or you made a poor life choice. Again, not referring to you specifically.

If you're stuck with a i915-based PC and depend on it for college with today's tech, you're going to have a bad time. It doesn't cost much to get a replacement piece of hardware that isn't so crippling. A Raspberry Pi 3 is cheaper than the average college textbook and would perform better than these old Intel systems.

Comment

otherwise it will be advertising OpenGL 1.4 like users find on Windows.
                    So from practical standpoint it would turn into utterly useless piece of garbage no program could use at all. Just because virtually no programs target this ancient standard right now. GL 1.4 has been USELESS years ago, and even more useless today, so I guess next logical step would be to completely remove HW support from the driver.

GL 1.4 means even some non-demanding things like opensource games like Warzone 2100 or CADs and so on would utterly stop working. Just because no morons target GL 1.4 these days and GL 2.x is a bare minimum.

Whatever, but eventually buying Intel-based laptop proven to be really regrettable decision. It got declared obsolete like 2 years since purchase, despite being quite expensive, its GPU never got fully supported (it could do DX10 under Windows, but nothing even remotely close to this Linux, which is utter BS) and what even worse, GPU support proven to degrade over time here and there. Not to mention traditional x86 "fun" like bugged ACPI nobody ever going to fix (its proprietary BIOS, doh) and so on. So I've got really strong reasons to think my next portable computing device just not going to be x86 at all.

Comment

Haha, you don't fool me in this game, I have decades of experience in "living poor like a boss".
                      You don't really need a internet contract to survive (I assume you have some GBs of internet in the smartphone contract for basic things like mail and stuff, or you can always use your smartphone and hotspots like I see many poor people here use), that's 9$ a month you save, in a year you can buy a half-decent used laptop, then you can buy the internet again.

I also know enterprising individuals that assembled cheap long-range (a km or so) wifi antennas to use free wifi from home. With less than 40$ of materials.

Comment

Working...
                      X