Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On-Disk Shader Cache Revised For Mesa, Close To Landing

Phoronix: On-Disk Shader Cache Revised For Mesa, Close To Landing

Timothy Arceri of Collabora has updated the hardware agnostic portion of the on-disk shader cache patches...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to see usage of XDG base directory spec in the patches. I hope radeonsi will get this cache as well.

Comment

the cache gets invalidated if version changes
      but is it only major version or on every commit?

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
        the cache gets invalidated if version changes
        but is it only major version or on every commit?
        At this stage it is every commit, but we can tweak that if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by tarceri View Post

At this stage it is every commit, but we can tweak that if needed.
          thanks for the quick response
          i am on mesa git so i wont enable it till its finished

Comment

Aweeeesoooome! I feel that this might actually improve the Phoronix benchmark results for a couple of games since I guess shaders will sometimes be compiled during the first run of those. Since the game re-starts every time between benchmark runs, the shader compile would have a negative impact for every run as well. Perhaps enough to affect the mean FPS.

Comment

thanks for the quick response
              i am on mesa git so i wont enable it till its finished
              Why not? I guess in that case, you actually want it to be invalidated for every commit, since you want every commit to invalidate your cache if any shader optimizations have been committed.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

Why not? I guess in that case, you actually want it to be invalidated for every commit, since you want every commit to invalidate your cache if any shader optimizations have been committed.
                constant writes to ssd is not a good idea
                the package is updated daily

Comment

constant writes to ssd is not a good idea
                  the package is updated daily
                  You are of course free to do whatever you want, but I wouldn't call "a couple of writes per day" for "constant writes" to SSD. An SSD implements "write leveling" and spreads "hot data" over the disk. Have you disabled all your internal logging as well, so those don't destroy your drive? Talk about constant writing...
                  I'm not saying you are wrong, just that you might be bikeshedding a bit, and perhaps strain at a gnat and swallow a camel.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

You are of course free to do whatever you want, but I wouldn't call "a couple of writes per day" for "constant writes" to SSD. An SSD implements "write leveling" and spreads "hot data" over the disk. Have you disabled all your internal logging as well, so those don't destroy your drive? Talk about constant writing...
                    I'm not saying you are wrong, just that you might be bikeshedding a bit, and perhaps strain at a gnat and swallow a camel.
                    i know that and yes i've set journald to not save data, but also if the shaders have to be rebuilt daily the wins are much less
                    (some of the shader is saved even if rebuilt AFAIK)
                    Last edited by davidbepo; 24 January 2017, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X