Etnaviv Gallium3D Implements Enough To Expose OpenGL 2, Run Ioquake3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etnaviv Gallium3D Implements Enough To Expose OpenGL 2, Run Ioquake3

Phoronix: Etnaviv Gallium3D Implements Enough To Expose OpenGL 2, Run Ioquake3

Adding to the list of Mesa 17.0 features is enough functionality in the reverse-engineered Etnaviv Gallium3D driver for running OpenGL 2.0 games...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can't see any better than that this patch also enables PIPE_CAP_QUERY_TIME_ELAPSED, which does not look like to be an intended change judging by the commit message.

EDIT: Looks like this patch was reverted. https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...b38891e61ea400
    Last edited by Polarina; 18 January 2017, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Someone's really not happy with Michael: https://twitter.com/TimeDoctor/statu...57853484855296

Comment

Originally posted by gutigone View Post
        Someone's really not happy with Michael: https://twitter.com/TimeDoctor/statu...57853484855296
        Ha, ha, i expect article about this bag

Comment

Originally posted by gutigone View Post
          LOL, the guy is a little butthurt. For real though, the whole thing about him shitting on the game was just a view on the art assets of open source games.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post

LOL, the guy is a little butthurt. For real though, the whole thing about him shitting on the game was just a view on the art assets of open source games.
            Yep, I have nothing against ioquake3 in general.... I simply expressed my personal view on a few particular rough games, several years ago, but other ioquake3 titles I have also expressed much interest in. In this article for a caption of "One of the more unique games powered by ioquake3." I really don't get the big deal.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Yep, I have nothing against ioquake3 in general.... I simply expressed my personal view on a few particular rough games, several years ago, but other ioquake3 titles I have also expressed much interest in. In this article for a caption of "One of the more unique games powered by ioquake3." I really don't get the big deal.
              While he's clearly taking things way too seriously, I think he has a little bit of a point.

Ask yourself, why did you choose to display that photo in this article? It doesn't have anything to do with etnaviv. Was it really just strictly random? You picked it out of a bag full of ioquake images? I doubt that - you picked it because it's so awful it's funny and people like to laugh at it.

He's just afraid that the awfulness present in that picture will be associated with his engine. If you were afraid of that, you wouldn't appreciate someone who wouldn't let it die, either.
              Last edited by smitty3268; 18 January 2017, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Well, seeing this Turtle Arena screenshot in this article made me very happy. It's the kind of wink that makes me happy. It's like a wink or like a smile.

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                He's just afraid that the awfulness present in that picture will be associated with his engine. If you were afraid of that, you wouldn't appreciate someone who wouldn't let it die, either.
                The article is not about “his” game engine but about a graphic driver. Why thinking about “his engine” first when an article talks about a graphic driver giving an example of game that can work with that graphic driver ?

The real Michael's mistakes was to quote the engine name instead of the game name since there is a screenshot of this game to illustrate the article. ZTM has the right to complain (and I doubt he will throw bags of shit), TimeDoctor does not have the right to complain, the article is not about his engine but a graphic driver, the screenshot is not related to a game he makes. The TurtleArena screenshot is there to say "you can play Turtle Arena on Etnaviv and it's awesome, this article is about Etnaviv being awesome to run ioquak3 engine and TurtleAena games, which isone of them. This article is not about ioquake3 being awesome to be used by TurtleArena. TimeDoctor's reaction is disrespectful to Michael and ZTM. This was not a screenshot to illustrate ioquake3 capabilities, but a screenshot to illustrate Etnaviv capabilities, and it fits the need.

ioquake3 being able to run TurtleArena is anecdotal, but Etnaviv being able to run TurtleArena is a glory, it's a very big milestone for Etnaviv, because it's an hard work which comes from afar.

I clearly dislike how TimeDoctor put a shame on a game because it is "one person made", specially regarding to how many games ZTM has contributed to (almost all idtech3 derivatives there).

Michael, thank you very much, sincerely. Next time put a ZEQ2 Lite screenshot or a Q3 Rally screenshot. For the later, Perle deserves it a lot. After 4 years of silence due to cancer (and website down for so many years), he just get up some months ago. This kind of guy deserves more tribute than insulte. It looks like being alone is a shame for TimeDoctor, so the next time, please highlight Perle and put a Q3 Rally screenshot for the fun and the glory. Hey, games are about fun, and being able to play as a Ninja Turtle on a platform driven by Etnaviv is a lot about fun. That picture was the right one and the best one for this article.
                Last edited by illwieckz; 19 January 2017, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

While he's clearly taking things way too seriously, I think he has a little bit of a point.

Ask yourself, why did you choose to display that photo in this article? It doesn't have anything to do with etnaviv. Was it really just strictly random? You picked it out of a bag full of ioquake images? I doubt that - you picked it because it's so awful it's funny and people like to laugh at it.

Was just going for something 'unique' and different for images, since those same images then get posted to twitter/facebook/etc.

But anyhow he clearly has some beef with phoronix. He had blocked 'phoronix' on Twitter so I couldn't even see the tweet until logging into a different browser... I had never tweeted him in my life or anything, so not sure why he blocks phoronix and then tweets about it as opposed to just tweeting and not follow me.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Let's see reality: It's an almost 20-year-old engine. It lacks a lot of features considered standard today. I'm pretty sure Elder Scrolls 6 won't be built on it, neither will Call of Duty 89 nor Assassin's Creed 173. It's good for education, for pet projects and some simple games. No reason to be butthurt. Not even if someone says it's bad, because it is, by today's standards.

Comment

Working...
                    X