Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Getting Close Whether The OpenGL On-Disk Shader Cache Will Happen For Mesa 17.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
    I concur, we want this for RadeonSI, so I don't have to wait 1 minute longer than everyone else in the loading lobby when playing L4D2 with my girlfriend and friends.
    RadeonSI and amdgpu.

Loading times for Outlast are horrible on Linux resulting in having to click away "app is not responding" notifications.

Comment

As long as it's Intel-only, it doesn't really even exist.

Comment

Originally posted by sirblackheart View Post

RadeonSI and amdgpu.
        wrong. RadeonSI and r600. amdgpu and radeon are in kernel. RadeonSI and r600 are in Mesa.
        radeon is for pre-fiji gpus, amdgpu is for fiji and newer (while older gcn gpus are experimental). Both, radeon and amdgpu use mesas radeonSI for 3D rendering.
        Last edited by tomtomme; 11 January 2017, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

wrong. RadeonSI only. amdgpu is in the kernel. RadeonSI is in Mesa.
          For pre-GCN gpus there is a kernel module named radeon. Both, radeon and amdgpu use mesas radeonSI for 3D rendering.
          Perhaps he meant RadeonSI and R600? Either way, it would be nice for both of them to have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

Perhaps he meant RadeonSI and R600? Either way, it would be nice for both of them to have it.
            No I was wrong. Bad assumption on my part.

Still hoping we will get this soon.

Comment

This is one feature I've been waiting for. I understand the devs are always looking to improve shader compile times and thats great, but really they should only have to be done once, not every time you play a game. I believe Rocket League needs this badly as do a bunch of other titles.

I know some patches were put in place to lay the ground for a shader cache on radeonsi, but that was a couple of months ago. The only updates we've had are for intels sc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

thx. I tend to forget about r600. I edited my explanations accordingly. Its complicated, all this driver mess

Comment

Originally posted by sirblackheart View Post
                  RadeonSI and amdgpu.
                  Loading times for Outlast are horrible on Linux resulting in having to click away "app is not responding" notifications.
                  They are the same in this case, the shader on-disk cache is handled in the Mesa driver. amdgpu/radeon are kernel drivers, they are in a whole other layer.
                  The amdgpu driver uses the same radeonsi Mesa layer as the radeon driver.

ps: Sorry, saw that other had already described this :ds

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
                    I know some patches were put in place to lay the ground for a shader cache on radeonsi, but that was a couple of months ago. The only updates we've had are for intels sc.
                    marek / AMD landed this in-memory-shader-cache for radeonSI a year ago with Mesa 11.2, see https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...er-Cache-Lands
                    AFAIK, this helps already when you reload a level. But not if you restart the whole game.
                    He also multithreaded this in July, but I donĀ“t know if it landed in mesa: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ly/122986.html

Marek also said somewhere that the on disk shader cache is not a priority, because it is mostly useful when the game engine compiles shaders during the game and not during a loading screen before the gameplay starts, which arguably does not affect many games. See discussion in the link above.

Comment

Thing is, there are pretty popular games that do on the fly shader compilation and it affects performance significantly.

Comment

Working...
                      X