Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Getting Close Whether The OpenGL On-Disk Shader Cache Will Happen For Mesa 17.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Getting Close Whether The OpenGL On-Disk Shader Cache Will Happen For Mesa 17.0

Phoronix: It's Getting Close Whether The OpenGL On-Disk Shader Cache Will Happen For Mesa 17.0

While a lot of OpenGL improvements, Vulkan driver advancements, and performance optimizations can be found in Mesa Git for the forthcoming release as Mesa 17.0, one big feature that's still missing as of today is the OpenGL on-disk shader cache...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If Mesa is moving to a date based naming format shouldn't a February release be named 17.2.0?

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
      If Mesa is moving to a date based naming format shouldn't a February release be named 17.2.0?
      No, their version method is explained in: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...sa-17.0-In-Git
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I think it is unlikely due to the size and overall evasiveness to areas where not everyone can Rb the series, hence spooling for so long - although I could be wrong.

What I would however like to see is that we get the ground prep work in before release.

Comment

Shame radeonsi isn't supported yet by this (yet?).
          Is an entirely different implementation of shader cache being developed for radeonsi or will there be shared code with the Intel implementation?

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Penguin View Post
            Shame radeonsi isn't supported yet by this (yet?).
            Is an entirely different implementation of shader cache being developed for radeonsi or will there be shared code with the Intel implementation?
            It looks like it will need some modifications, but it doesn't look like too much. I think it'll be alright. (also my original concerns seem to be misplaced, It looks pretty decent. It really doesn't touch the disk that much)
            Last edited by duby229; 11 January 2017, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Does anybody play shader-heavy games on an Intel gpu?
              We need such cache for radeonsi.

Comment

Please, please merge it.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

With a name like that, it is certain is that it's going to be a great addition.

(Har, har, I'm such a language nerd.)

Comment

I concur, we want this for RadeonSI, so I don't have to wait 1 minute longer than everyone else in the loading lobby when playing L4D2 with my girlfriend and friends.

Comment

Working...
                    X