No announcement yet.

Massive Gallium3D Nine Patch Series Merged To Mesa Git

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vickop, as V10lator says it was, but with no support from Wine.

Comment

Great news! Much thanks to all the people involved in these patches

Now that Gallium Nine seems to be in good shape, maybe the developers will want to revisit Gallium Eleven
      If I remember correctly one of the main reason for abandoning Gallium Eleven at the time was that Gallium itself was not advanced enough to properly support it. And there weren't that many games that were DX11 exclusively at the time (if any).
      But maybe now would be the right time?

Comment

Just here to say that when I see "Nine Patch", the first thing that comes to mind is Android stretchy images; https://developer.android.com/refere...NinePatch.html

Which are a heck of a lot more interesting than what this is actually about....

Comment

Originally posted by yurikoles View Post
          vickop, as V10lator says it was, but with no support from Wine.
          You can always use the aur to get WINE with gallium-nine support, like wine-gaming-nine. I'm using it a lot and it works great on the few Windows-games of interest. In my honest opinion, I don't know why WINE does not support gallium-nine from the get-go, as this is a huge improvement and opens up a lot of closed doors for people trying out Windows games on Linux. I've posted a small tutorial for people interested in a certain game and got a lot of feedback from it. The interest on Linux is HUGE, we just need to open some doors so that "average joe" is also capable of using it without dropping performance/quality. (Thats why I love Arch Linux, the wiki gave me a lot of help when I switched from Windows as for me being a total noob, I still got everything running and even have some experimental stuff going on - awesome.)

May it be experimental or not, they should at least give the option to enable it - just my 2 cents.

Comment

People don't understand that WineD3D is also a D3D state tracker for OpenGL. So once WineD3D11 will be ready, someone will try a conversion of that work on Gallium. Like Nine for Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
              People don't understand that WineD3D is also a D3D state tracker for OpenGL. So once WineD3D11 will be ready, someone will try a conversion of that work on Gallium. Like Nine for Vulkan.
              You've got that very wrong

Comment

WINE's license isn't compatible to copy code into Mesa, so I hope they don't do that.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

WINE's license isn't compatible to copy code into Mesa, so I hope they don't do that.
                  I mean "based on".

Comment

I mean "based on".
                    So a "derivative work"? I don't think that's actually any better.

DirectX11 is already a documented standard. I don't think a WINE implementation can give them much more of a boost legally, other than of course creating a good test suite. And figuring out any weird undocumented issues, etc. Of course I'm sure that wouldn't stop people from just going and copying the code anyway. There were a few patches in Nine that got called out for exactly that.
                    Last edited by smitty3268; 23 December 2016, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X