9 Year Old Mesa Bug Fixed, Addresses Stability With RadeonSI Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 Year Old Mesa Bug Fixed, Addresses Stability With RadeonSI Gallium3D

Phoronix: 9 Year Old Mesa Bug Fixed, Addresses Stability With RadeonSI Gallium3D

A nine-year-old Mesa bug has now been squashed by Marek Olšák. This Mesa bug ended up affecting the RadeonSI driver and causing stability issues, which has now been addressed and should help open-source AMD Linux gamers run titles like Team Fortress 2 and Batman Arkham: Origins (Wine)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That would be Big Lin, if fixes those random lockups after near decade

Comment

Because of that, radeonsi uploaded garbage sampler states and the hardware went bananas.
      I wonder if there is a way to recover a GPU when it goes bananas. Usually Windows can recover from GPU driver crash, resetting the output to VGA, killing all DirectX processes and putting a message to "pls restart now".

Comment

ohh that issue might have affect nouveau as well, cause I got random crashes in TF2 I couldn't really explain

Comment

What is a sampler state, that was cached or deleted?

Comment

Good job, Marek. A fixed bug is better than an open bug, even if it takes a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by bibaheu View Post
              I wonder if there is a way to recover a GPU when it goes bananas. Usually Windows can recover from GPU driver crash, resetting the output to VGA, killing all DirectX processes and putting a message to "pls restart now".
              There is a way to handle this. It's work in progress for AMDGPU. Look for the various commits regarding GPU reset.

The hard part seems to be making sure that resets don't result in inconsistent state of the driver and memory management. As far as I can tell, actually resetting the hardware is quite simple.

Comment

Really great to see this fixed if true. I know it has been reported as an issue for a long, long time.

Comment

Looks like it might fix XCOM:EW crashes, too! Finally I can finish this.

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post
                    What is a sampler state, that was cached or deleted?
                    State that tells the gpu how to sample a texture.

Comment

Working...
                    X