Internal Multi-Threading Arrives For Gallium3D's Direct3D 9 "Nine"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Techwolf View Post
    Can nvidia users use this? I google galioum nine and could not find info on what galliom nine really is. Like what hardware it works on, if required.

Gallium3D is a set of interfaces and a collection of supporting libraries[2] intended to ease the programming of device drivers for 3D graphics chipsets for multiple operating systems, rendering or video acceleration APIs.
    (explained for osx users, but applies to linux users too, except the bit about metal)
    https://forums.eveonline.com/default...posts&t=483258
    Nine is a open-source and free implementation of Microsoft Direct3D 9 API for Linux, It is a Gallium3D state tracker located at the same level as OpenGL
    No nvidia users can't use it because nVidia's graphics driver is proprietary and doesn't implement gallium3d state trackers at all.
    Last edited by duby229; 08 December 2016, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      No nvidia users can't use it because nVidia's graphics driver is proprietary and doesn't implement gallium3d state trackers at all.
      To be fair, Nouveau can use it, but it would only be useful on older graphics cards.

It's nice to see it still being maintained. And I still dream of it being mainlined one day =D

Comment

Multithreading in the game and the driver are complementary.

D3D9 calls are protected by mutexes, that is only one thread at a time can run in them (the others are waiting).
        Adding threading to the driver enables to return from the calls faster, and thus there is less mutex contention.

Comment

Most my games require DX11, sigh....

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

There are only two places you can implement multithreading, the graphics driver or the game engine. And I hate to say this, but in situations where the graphics driver is mutithreading and the game engine is unaware of it, very retarded things have to occur...... Look into it, I think you'll agree.

It is definitely not beautiful. I'm not against this happening, it's just the ass backwards way of doing this.
            Microsoft implements multithreading in the Windows DX9 graphics drivers, so presumably game engines will be expecting that to happen and not do anything completely retarded. Or at least not more so than they would on windows, which has traditionally been the gold standard in terms of support and performance.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
              It's a null pointer dereference in wine's pulseaudio code. It's not obvious how this would be gallium nine's fault
              bisected to https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...er/137894.html
              If I had properly looked, I would have seen that it's caused by mmap() failing while GTT is growing and growing: https://i.imgur.com/EIaC8vA.png

Comment

Originally posted by PadreAdamo View Post
                I'm not a developer so the only way I can provide my gratitude and appreciation is to donate, spread the word (I managed to get four of my friends to switch to GNU/Linux), and provide support for the one game I do play on WineHQ (Guild Wars 2).
                It's quite common to see people not aware of how to install/use gallium nine on their system. You could help by making easy tutorials for different systems ?

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post

It's quite common to see people not aware of how to install/use gallium nine on their system. You could help by making easy tutorials for different systems ?
                  Good idea! I will start to put that together. I typically only use PPA (Ubuntu Derivatives) but I guess it would be a good time to learn how to build/compile things on my own or apply patches (gallium nine to wine).

Comment

Originally posted by PadreAdamo View Post

Good idea! I will start to put that together. I typically only use PPA (Ubuntu Derivatives) but I guess it would be a good time to learn how to build/compile things on my own or apply patches (gallium nine to wine).
                    I'd suggest to look into Nine Standalone which is much more convenient to use than the older, "patched Wine" approach.

Comment

Working...
                    X