NVIDIA vs. AMDGPU-PRO vs. RadeonSI OpenGL Comparison For Holidays 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
    The future is looking really good for Vulkan as several big game engines are saying it's easier to work with than DX12.
    Where that was said? Source?

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post

Hybrid graphics doesn't work under linux. You are probably running off of the power efficient GPU all the time with it never using or switching to the more powerful one.
      I know. That's why i said i have to use DRI_PRIME=1 to switch to my dedicated GPU (and i've made sure it actually switches, glxinfo changes it's prints based on whether it's 0 or 1) but that has no impact whatsoever on performance. I think something else is broken in the gfx stack.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post

This actually brings to my mind..

I have a laptop with "AMD hybrid graphics" iirc. It has a Radeon HD 6520G and a Radeon HD 7670M. On Windows running dota 2 with medium quality settings (with the OpenGL renderer) i achieve a bit over 60 fps. On Linux with the mesa drivers i achieve less than 20 fps, 16 is a pretty average number. It doesn't matter if i do the DRI_PRIME=1 shenanigans, the perf is just as bad with both of those GPU's. Is there any logical explanation for such a big perf difference?

Also, that hardware combo is "broken" out of the box. I remember how it spilled something about DPM (dynamic power management) having some issues when shutting it down, and upon some googling i came across a bugzilla ticket with a commit that should've disabled DPM on that particular hardware, but interestingly it wasn't disabled for me. Had to manually add the flag for disabling DPM support. After some digging i even found the bugzilla ticket; https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=51381 comment #38 has the same HW as i do and Alex apparently disabled DPM for it but that definitely wasn't the case for me.

Oh well, that's what i get for running old hardware i guess.
        same problems.
        i've a notebook with A10 8700p (with integrated radeon r6) and dedicated gpu radeon r7 m360.
        on windows, gaming performance are really better than linux (for example cs:go, that is a game optimized well and isn't heavy, or also borderlands 2).
        on windows i get more than 100fps on cs:go, instead on borderlands 80fps, instead on linux, cs:go has 60fps and on some maps less than 30 borderlands 2 instead is always unser 30fps.
        if i use dedicated gpu, performance are also lower.

i hope that in future AMD will gain a boost of performance.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

Do people even know what SPECIFICATIONS are or mean? lets me honest, if the standard is telling you to program a shader/code in a way that is going to mean you loose half your performance, then I don't blame NVIDIA trying to optimize on top of standards that are clearly not doing AMD any good by following them...
          Good point, but on the other hand It is -the- reason why every game ships broken. Game studio's have come to expect that they can do whatever they want no matter how completely retarded it is, After all nVidia is going to profile your binary and replace half of what you coded anyway, so really whats the point in standards at all?

Oh yeah, it's a guarantee that the games consumers buy will work on any vendor. But nVidia doesn't give a shit about that.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
            Interesting results. I hope marek will receive his copy of DX:MD from bridgman soon enough!
            I do have Deus Ex:MD.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Good point, but on the other hand It is -the- reason why every game ships broken.
              No that is the fault of the game devs exclusively only supporting NVIDIA and never testing anything AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Pure FUD my ass. Pure 100% fact!
                Must be. I think I saw it on Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

No that is the fault of the game devs exclusively only supporting NVIDIA and never testing anything AMD.
                  Note that this is an "AMD game" on Windows.
                  They also worked on the drivers:

(One of the best comments I could find on this topic). Hopefully, driver optimizations will improve performance here, as well as in other games. I also heard something like some AZDO extensions are Not yet supported by mesa, but I can't find any (recent) link to back that claim.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post

Must be. I think I saw it on Facebook.
                    There seems to be a major problem with NV's default settings in the control panel. Under default, it's supposed to "Let Application Decide" on AF. Yet it overrides in-game settings to **** quality for texture filtering. It started with a guy on OCUK who benched Titan X & Fury X, people noticed...

There's more much, much more. These are just the links from the first page of a very simple google search. Yes, in fact a large chunk of what people consider nVidia's better performance is -actually- nvidia's worse rendering.

And that -is- the truth.

Comment

EDIT: Reply stuck in mod queue

Comment

Working...
                      X