No announcement yet.

No text in 3d games (Matrox)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder why the git driver helps, seeing the latest git commit being the tag for 1.4.9?

Comment

I'm not familar with gitversion control, but I guess, there might be code in the master branch that didn't make it into the release. Moreover distros tend to include their own patches, so if your driver shipped with thed distro, there migth be small differences.

Comment

I compiled my own straight from http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/driver/. I'll check the git ver out when I have time.

Comment

Tried out the driver you pointed out. No big difference in behaviur to the git driver.

Additionally I found out that using the 1.4.9 or the git driver I only get no texture (and text) problems if I set
          Code:
          VideoRam	 16384
          in the device section of xorg.conf.
          Srtange enough as my card should have 32 MB ram and is listed so by lspci.

Forgot to revert the experimental entry when I tried out git. Sorry for that.

So I guess some memory stuff is done strangely on pci cards.

I read somewhere that the "original" mga driver just sopported dri on agp cards. So it might be that direct rendering is still poor on pci.

Actually glxgears are here faster without direct rendering, but badly rendered.

Comment

Glxgears is the same for me; more fps, but true 3d accel looks way better, less jerky.

Also, my card is recognized as 32mb as it should be, VideoRam's one more thing to test..
            Edit: VideoRam tested (on 1.4.9). No change whether forcing 16mb or 32mb.
            Last edited by curaga; 22 September 2008, 07:35 AM.

Comment

OK; tried the git driver. After getting it to compile, no difference.
              Still recognizes 32mb properly, still no text in games.
              Last edited by curaga; 22 September 2008, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Too bad. I also made some further tests. I ran into the same problem using 32 bit linux and also with only 2gb ram in my machine.
                (as I read that some drivers have problems with mem mapping when using 4gb on 64 bit, but that doesn't seem to be the isssue here)
                Always got the corruption (unless I use the new driver and specify the small ram size using xorg 7.3).
                Trying out fedora 9 with the new xorg wasn't better either.
                So I don't have any idea what else to try.

Comment

Well, I only have 2gb of ram, so that's not it either. Maybe we'll just need to accept the fact it's a bug

Comment

Seems so. Hopefully fixed sometime

Comment

After updating to Xorg 7.4 and Mesa 7.2, problem is gone.

Comment

Working...
                      X