75 Patches Queued For Gallium3D's Nine State Tracker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
    This is interesting and quite welcomed, but any word on why wine won't merge those patches?
    We are working to merge with staging.

Comment

Originally posted by sarnex View Post

That's great!

Any hopes to eventually see "Ten", "Eleven" and "Twelve" evolution too?

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post

Because wine development specially in d3d relates stay changing so much in lastest moths: buffer incorporation, buffer management, many changes in swapchain and other issues and in any update could be break nine

For this reason nine must have fork of wine for prevent this situation

Gallium nine integration in wine is totally independent from wine d3d9 support. It's in another directory, and uses only Windows API that wine implements via it other dlls, except for one specific request. That should be easy to maintain.

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post
          Funny reasoning though, given WINE does offer support for CUDA, which is only working on nVidia...
          wine does not offer support for translating dx9 to cuda. if you mean that it translates cuda to cuda, then of course it does that, otherwise it will have to translate cuda to something else which is much more work
          and i guess cuda works on osx which is funding wine development

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            And i think people just reinventing the wheel all the time
            i think you just posting bullshit all the time

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post

Gallium nine integration in wine is totally independent from wine d3d9 support. It's in another directory, and uses only Windows API that wine implements via it other dlls, except for one specific request. That should be easy to maintain.
              If d3d9 stay isolated this can be true but swapchain, buffer and other components affects all d3d (6-7-8-9-10-11) used by wine

For this reason nine could be broken is only matter of time

Wine fork allows prevent this issue or maintain only wine versions dont break actual nine implementation

Comment

Does Oibaf's Gallium Nine Test PPA get these patches?

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post

If d3d9 stay isolated this can be true but swapchain, buffer and other components affects all d3d (6-7-8-9-10-11) used by wine

For this reason nine could be broken is only matter of time

Wine fork allows prevent this issue or maintain only wine versions dont break actual nine implementation

d3d9-nine.dll uses its own swapchain implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by sarnex View Post
                    Wow! That is exciting. The performance of Nine is so much better than not using it, even with CSMT applied... I understand upstream not wanting to support it (kinda), but as an end user looking for maximum performance under Wine you would be crazy not to use Nine.

I don't have benchmarks, but I did compare the three options a few months back (vanilla, wine-staging with CSMT, vanilla+Nine) with Cryostasis, and I recall Nine performance destroyed everything else. I know Grim Dawn is the same story with recent builds... ~15 FPS for vanilla, ~60-90 FPS with Nine on my Fury X. Goes from being unplayable to being comparable to Windows performance. Did not test CSMT with Grim Dawn as I only noticed I didn't enable Nine the other day by accident - wasn't specifically looking to benchmark. But can't imagine too much has changed.

Surely the difference will be even more significant when Wine has more complete D3D11 support. I imagine many games will barely be playable due to the performance hit, and a Gallium3D Eleven option could make a massive difference.

With AMD making such progress on the free software drivers front, I don't think it'll be long (maybe within the next 12 months) before there is no question that AMD cards on GNU/Linux are the way to go. It used to be Nvidia cards were the best option not so long ago, and already many people are questioning that. If most GNU/Linux users would benefit from Nine or Eleven, that should be a big help in seeing such options make it upstream.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                      Does Oibaf's Gallium Nine Test PPA get these patches?
                      It should, once the patches are in the code and the ppa packages are rebuilt. A few days or weeks, and you'll have them.

Comment

Working...
                      X