Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 75 Patches Queued For Gallium3D's Nine State Tracker

Phoronix: 75 Patches Queued For Gallium3D's Nine State Tracker

We've been expecting many last minute Gallium3D Nine / D3D9 patches ahead of the Mesa 13.0 branching and yesterday the bulk of those patches were sent out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is interesting and quite welcomed, but any word on why wine won't merge those patches?

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
      This is interesting and quite welcomed, but any word on why wine won't merge those patches?
      Their reasoning has been because it's just not Linux-only but Gallium-only at that.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Yeah, I understand where they're coming from in not merging the patches. Though I have to say, I can't imagine it would make things any harder, if the patches are unintrusive.

The worst outcome is that wine core folks and codeweavers accidentally break the nine integration, which is not such a big deal assuming somebody is testing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Their reasoning has been because it's just not Linux-only but Gallium-only at that.
          and that if it works fine with nvidia, then the mesa drivers are not optimised enough.

Comment

I know they don't want to maintain it but damn it would be cool if they put this in wine staging. Even if it never gets mainlined because of drivers. (I'm lazy and I like to have per app wine installations through POL. I like being able to switch to old versions)

Comment

Funny reasoning though, given WINE does offer support for CUDA, which is only working on nVidia...
              The fanboy is strong with someone...

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                Why should they, nine is only faster then mesa's slow gl ... but slower then nvidia, even slower then fglrx/amdgpu-pro, particulary when csmt is used and on top of that possibly threaded optimizations

Comment

That said I am totally ashamed that default GL accel on Linux is worse then anything else

And i think people just reinventing the wheel all the time

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Without forget dont have support of wine devs for various reasons like as: dont work in all hardware (nvidia - intel - amd) with all type of drivers (propietary - opensource) and all os supported (linux - macos - freebsd - android)

And before situation is same in crossover (main wine devs come from them)

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                    The worst outcome is that wine core folks and codeweavers accidentally break the nine integration, which is not such a big deal assuming somebody is testing it.
                    This is correct

Because wine development specially in d3d relates stay changing so much in lastest moths: buffer incorporation, buffer management, many changes in swapchain and other issues and in any update could be break nine

For this reason nine must have fork of wine for prevent this situation

Comment

Working...
                    X