No announcement yet.

GL_KHR_robustness Lands For RadeonSI / NVC0, OpenGL 4.5 Changes Complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really mean 'without'. The extension forces to use a table, that's what I understood.

Comment

Which discussion are you referring to?

The 64-bit value in the extension can just be a GPU address that points to the descriptor. So you do have to maintain a table, but at least for GCN that's basically the same thing as the descriptor tables we have today.

AFAICS, the only potential issue with ARB_bindless_texture is that it's fairly easy to shoot yourself in the foot with it. All resident textures have to be reserved while a CS is in progress, which means that if you use the extension badly, you might end up forcing more work on the kernel (because buffer lists are longer).

Comment

I guess bindless textures could also be a win for glamor, 2d-apps love to blit tons of tiny pixmaps

Comment

Actually bindless textues are what is reffered to as "modern, low-overhead opengl" by many slides published by at least NVidia (and I guess also AMD).

I guess bindless textures would also help glamor - 2d apps love to blit tons of small pixmaps...

Comment

It was an old discussion on irc or on the mailing list, but I've probably misunderstood things then.

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
              There was discussion long ago between mesa devs on the topic, and the concensus was that it is designed to reduce cpu overhead, but increases gpu work, which is thus a bad idea unless cpu limited.
              it's not hard to find game which is cpu-limited on mesa

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                see:
                that post was from before mesa 12, so "next release" in it is 12, not 13

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  that post was from before mesa 12, so "next release" in it is 12, not 13
                  Ahm right confused that somehow, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                    Ahm right
                    10:51 #dri-devel: < nha> arb_enhanced_layouts/execution/component-layout/vs-to-fs-array-interleave.shader_test passes \o/

Comment

Working...
                    X