Gallium3D "Nine" Improvements Inbound For Next Mesa Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
    Do you mean the nine patches, or Wine itself? In the latest case I don't see a single reason why not. VTMB perhaps not running because of missing implementation of some function it needs. Once it gets implemented, it'd be fine.
    I meant Nine. VTMB is fine with OGL transition layer. The Nine renderer, however, renders just pure black screen after the intro videos. It's a source game, so it doesn't do anything fancy, though it has some ugly code, it's basically a very old, beta version of Source. Unfortunately it never got updated at the engine level, as the developer went out of business soon after release.

Comment

I recently got an RX 480, and I'm using Mesa. If StarCraft 2 runs great with this (It's a DirectX 10 title, I believe, but maybe it still helps?) I'll see if I can get it running.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
        I recently got an RX 480, and I'm using Mesa. If StarCraft 2 runs great with this (It's a DirectX 10 title, I believe, but maybe it still helps?) I'll see if I can get it running.
        If it's DX10 it doesn't help at all.

OpenGL versions are backwards compatible*, Direct3D major versions are not. DX8, 9, 10/11, and 12 are all different (11 is, IIRC, a superset of 10). You'd need a a "ten" or "eleven" state tracker to make starcraft2 work (assuming it is DX10).

*There is a bit of wonkiness in 3.x related to core and compat profiles.

Comment

Starcraft2 is dx9.

Comment

StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3 were the reason I started using gallium-nine over wine-csmt. They work very well on my r9 270. Not quite native performance but still very good. I would imagine over 100fps with an RX480 and never below 60fps is very possible.

Comment

StarCraft II runs flawless, however I wish the Map Editor was as good - the Login dialog has connection issues to battle.net to validate credentials when publishing maps.

I'm running AMDGPU, MESA, and I believe Gallium Nine

vulkan-radeon-git-85853.10fc898-1 xf86-video-amdgpu-git-229.bdee9f4-1 mesa-libgl-git-85227.66f85c3-1 mesa-git-85227.66f85c3-1

I get a high FPS in most games @ 1080p 120hz. I get 350 FPS in both CS:S and CS:GO, Unity games usually hit that 120 spot and maybe dip to 90.

Bioshock Infinite seems to do about ~70-100 if I recall correct.

Ark doesn't run currently as there's some issue with AMDGPU and Ark.

DOTA Vulkan runs and does okay.

Overall I would give my new card a B or B+ and then the open drive fixing weird issues bumps it up to a A for my usage needs. Obviously my opinion is my opinion. We previously had two GTX 970s in our gaming linux rigs at home and AMD is comparable in most areas and better in some IMO.

(Getting the latest GIT version of mesa is essential for good performance as well as the xf86-video-amdgpu from the private [mesa-git] arch repo for the RX 480 as well as good performance.)

Comment

Originally posted by crymsonpheonix View Post
                If it's DX10 it doesn't help at all.

OpenGL versions are backwards compatible*, Direct3D major versions are not. DX8, 9, 10/11, and 12 are all different (11 is, IIRC, a superset of 10). You'd need a a "ten" or "eleven" state tracker to make starcraft2 work (assuming it is DX10).

*There is a bit of wonkiness in 3.x related to core and compat profiles.
                Apparently it is DX9, so I was fortunately wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
                  StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3 were the reason I started using gallium-nine over wine-csmt. They work very well on my r9 270. Not quite native performance but still very good. I would imagine over 100fps with an RX480 and never below 60fps is very possible.
                  I don't even get 100 FPS in Windows, I'm limited by my FX-8350 (holding out to see what Zen can do, and at what price). But I'm fine with 50-60 FPS, with minimum 30.

Comment

I don't even get 100 FPS in Windows, I'm limited by my FX-8350 (holding out to see what Zen can do, and at what price). But I'm fine with 50-60 FPS, with minimum 30.
                    I'm still holding on to my overclocked Phenom 2 x6. I can't wait to see the final Zen silicon. Probably drop my power bill by 15$ a month.

Comment

Working...
                    X