Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium3D "Nine" Improvements Inbound For Next Mesa Release

Phoronix: Gallium3D "Nine" Improvements Inbound For Next Mesa Release

On top of the RADV Vulkan driver being queued for the next Mesa release, it looks like some improvements to the "Nine" Direct3D 9 Gallium3D state tracker are also en route for the new Mesa version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Semi OT: Are there any attempts to push gallim3d nine state tracker to wine?

Comment

Not going to lie, this tempts me to buy am and instead of Nvidia next.

Comment

As a regular user of Gallium3D "Nine" (currently using it to play Grim Dawn), this is excellent news.

Now all we need is for AMD to finish off those last couple of OpenGL 4.4 and 4.5 extensions. At first it seemed we would get OpenGL 4.5 support for this release. Then it looked clear it wasn't going to happen. Now with this time extension, hopefully we're back with a chance to see 4.4 and hopefully 4.5 all light up for radeonsi on Mesamatrix. Feels like I've been waiting forever to play Dying Light with Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
          I believe wine devs said they would never accept it, yet they said the same with the PA patches...
          But I think they were trying to get it in wine-staging, not sure what happened there.

Comment

When I started using Linux, the AMD cards were apita. Over the last 2 years or so, they went from "omg" to "competitive" with NVidia and for the future (I plan to upgrade my GPU) I have serious reservations about not buying an AMD card. Everything is heading towards butter-smooth performance with open drivers and a load of features with better performance than playing games on Windows. I want to thank all Devs who work out there for the great support. My dream is to play Star Citizen on Linux, which (as they will do Vulkan) is not only possible, but also has the slight chance to be faster than the Windows version. For everything that is not Vulkan, I need Wine - and gallium-nine already beats several games compared to Windows. The only issue I have are still some texture-bugs on cry-engine games, but I hope they will be ironed out.

Comment

I've been seeing a few warnings when compiling mesa with nine enabled due to strict aliasing now being enabled

Comment

Some games, even modern games run very well with it. Then there's basic stuff, like VTMB, which does not. I wonder if it ever will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                  you don't compile wine yourself, are you? just use nine package for your distro. for fedora there are nine coprs

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    Some games, even modern games run very well with it. Then there's basic stuff, like VTMB, which does not. I wonder if it ever will.
                    Do you mean the nine patches, or Wine itself? In the latest case I don't see a single reason why not. VTMB perhaps not running because of missing implementation of some function it needs. Once it gets implemented, it'd be fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X