Mesa 13.0 Planning For Release At End Of October, Might Include RADV Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 13.0 Planning For Release At End Of October, Might Include RADV Vulkan

Phoronix: Mesa 13.0 Planning For Release At End Of October, Might Include RADV Vulkan

Following the mailing list talk over the past two days about doing the next Mesa release, plans are being discussed for releasing at the end of October and it might have just got a whole lot more exciting...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One of the hings I am wondering most of all is how Mesa versioning will work now. There is a good sized bunch of extensions not in an OpenGL number so one could make the argument for 14 after those are complete, but what then?

Comment

RADV si only for radeon driver or is for all radeonsi, then also for AMDGPU driver?

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
        One of the hings I am wondering most of all is how Mesa versioning will work now. There is a good sized bunch of extensions not in an OpenGL number so one could make the argument for 14 after those are complete, but what then?
        Probably new major releases for new Vulkan versions – once Vulkan support is the main purpose of Mesa.

Usually I don't care that much about version numbers but I really dislike Mesa's. Without looking at Mesa Matrix, it's absolutely impossible to match the version number to a rough feature set. Why does a minor revision of OpenGL relate to a new major revision of Mesa? Why isn't the Mesa version that support OpenGL 4.5 not called Mesa 4.5?
        Well, obviously it's no too late as you can't downgrade a version number for packaging reasons alone. I hope they figure a sane scheme out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dea1993 View Post
          RADV si only for radeon driver or is for all radeonsi, then also for AMDGPU driver?
          Its for kernel driver AMDGPU
          It run on all GCN hardware but it's not totally stable on GCN 1.0 & 1.1.

Comment

Originally posted by RavFX View Post

Its for kernel driver AMDGPU
            It run on all GCN hardware but it's not totally stable on GCN 1.0 & 1.1.
            Gcn 1.1 is stable, but its still marked as experimental.

Comment

Having RADV merged into Mesa so quickly would be amazing. Even if it's not 100% done.

Comment

I have no problem with them merging RADV to keep rebasing/merge issues down... But for now, they probably will at least want to make it an opt-in feature at configure/build time.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                  I have no problem with them merging RADV to keep rebasing/merge issues down... But for now, they probably will at least want to make it an opt-in feature at configure/build time.
                  Already done, it requires --with-vulkan-drivers=radeon to build it, same goes with intel's vulkan driver.

Comment

End of October is just a month, I'd think that's a bit optimistic. For RADV well, why not. In Gentoo I am used to my USE flags anyway to switch on/off things. Likely there'll be some USE="-vulkan" or "-radv" for those who don't dare to have it yet or all the ones without the appropriate HW. For all others it's an opt-in opportunity and widens the tester group. I'd love to see soft-FP64 polished and fit for all those elderly cards merged, too.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X