Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Mesa Fix Lands To Take Care Of The R9 290 Issue, Intel/Radeon Performance Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Padoka updated his PPA just before the patch was released... Lets hope he update it again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      That really doesn't mean anything. [...] It's not capable of showing performance differences. Please benchmark a game, that would actually tell any real difference.
      It actually is a benchmark for this problem (but only this!), because what you want to test is how fast can the driver swap the buffers. So lower gpu load -> better swapping test

Comment

I guess with the patch glxgears is not anymore CPU bound

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post

It actually is a benchmark for this problem (but only this!), because what you want to test is how fast can the driver swap the buffers. So lower gpu load -> better swapping test
          I don't see how you could possibly tell any difference when just moving the window can change fps by hundreds or even thousands. How can you know the difference is from this patch or from a difference in window position.....

That's why quoting out of context is so stupid. I already said this and now I'm forced to repeat myself because you chose to quote only what matters the least.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            I guess with the patch glxgears is not anymore CPU bound
            glxgears is not cpu bound. It's not anything bound. It just doesn't do very much.

Comment

Of course it is CPU bound, with DRI2 it is bound to singlethread so more CPU bound and with DRI3 less - it uses more CPU

Comment

It may changes by a few hundreds fps but this was an increase of at least 50% in "performance". That's not within the error margin. Especially if you read the bug report where they measured before the first change that broke this, after the change and after the fix. It's pretty clear that it is a benchmark for this and even if you repeat yourself it doesn't become more true. And I'm also not sure how the quote was out of context? Nothing you wrote added new infos to this. You just made same claim with more words but without any new evidence.

Comment

But main diff here is probably cos Michel uses xserver git, where there are glamor improvments... but users usually test something else

Comment

50% is well within glxgears margin, 10x is within glxgears margin. Just move the window around and you can see that for yourself. This isn't news.

Comment

EDIT: Games..... That's what we need to see benchmarked....

Comment

Working...
                      X