Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Will Be Back On Track For Frequent, Stable Point Releases

Phoronix: Mesa Will Be Back On Track For Frequent, Stable Point Releases

Aside from the major Mesa 12.0 release, this month has been relatively quiet for Mesa stable point releases, which traditionally have come around every two weeks. It looks like that will be back on track shortly...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Stable releases matters

Comment

My guess is, the people at Mesa either celebrated or had a vacation period. Let's face it, the guys at Mesa deserves that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
        My guess is, the people at Mesa either celebrated or had a vacation period. Let's face it, the guys at Mesa deserves that.
        intel and Amd are big companies, why they don't hire someone to manage stable mesa releases?

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

intel and Amd are big companies, why they don't hire someone to manage stable mesa releases?
          Someone from Intel used to do it, he said he was too busy to do it properly and Emil volunteered to take over. He did a pretty good job early on, but it seems like other stuff might be distracting him recently.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

That's why because they're big companies. What matters is profit. If maintaining Mesa is not profitable, they won't do it for charity.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Someone from Intel used to do it, he said he was too busy to do it properly and Emil volunteered to take over. He did a pretty good job early on, but it seems like other stuff might be distracting him recently.
              I feel like I remember him saying something about a family health matter delaying a previous release. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a continuation of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

I feel like I remember him saying something about a family health matter delaying a previous release. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a continuation of that.
                Yeah, i didn't want to speculate but that's my assumption.

Comment

While I'm happy Mesa is starting to bring some real performance for linux gaming; there is a lot of banging the 'ole head against the wall
                  because so many "linux games" simply won't run.

I cannot get Metro 2033 REDUX to run (from Steam) no matter what.

Here is my system

I've never got this game to work on my linux system; other steam games (for linux) play fine.
                  Game fails to launch, typical error Executable not found.
                  I at first attributed this to a MESA driver problem.
                  PC is a AMD FX 8150, 8GB of RAM GPU is AMD HD7870
                  OS is Xubuntu 16.04 LTS that comes with Linux Kernel 4.4 and Mesa 11.2.
                  I upgraded to kernel 4.8 and Mesa 12.1. Which has OpenGL version 4.3.
                  Game STILL crashes at launch.

Here is my OpenGL spill --

$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
                  OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
                  OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD PITCAIRN (DRM 2.46.0 / 4.8.0-040800rc2-generic, LLVM 3.9.0)
                  OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 12.1.0-devel
                  OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.30
                  OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
                  OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
                  OpenGL core profile extensions:
                  OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 12.1.0-devel
                  OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
                  OpenGL context flags: (none)
                  OpenGL extensions:
                  OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 12.1.0-devel
                  OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
                  OpenGL ES profile extensions:

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

I didn't try to run it recently, but in the past I never had any special issues with Metro Redux. Just the usual cleanup of old libraries that come bundled in the Steam runtime. There should be a wiki for your distribution how to deal with those, otherwise the workarounds from the wiki for Gentoo or Arch should also apply to Xubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                    X