Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Memory Use For The VC4 Raspberry Pi Gallium3D Driver

Phoronix: Lower Memory Use For The VC4 Raspberry Pi Gallium3D Driver

One of the latest initiatives worked on by Eric Anholt at Broadcom for the VC4 Gallium3D driver -- the open-source driver used most famously by the Raspberry Pi hardware -- is lower memory use...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

but the Raspberry Pi has only 1GB of RAM
    , my RPI is RPI1 model B add have 256MB-64MB for the GPU.
    Developer of Ultracopier/CatchChallenger and CEO of Confiared

Comment

Curiously, does his optimisations translate readily to any other hardware drivers? I guess they're optimistions for a reason because they're targetting the Broadcom model's idiosyncracies, but still. Always interested.
      Hi

Comment

So when are we getting production ready Wayland on Galluim3D drivers on RPi? Not trolling. Genuinely asking. What is the state of those things on the RPi?

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post
          So when are we getting production ready Wayland on Galluim3D drivers on RPi? Not trolling. Genuinely asking. What is the state of those things on the RPi?
          Uh? I thought it was already working...
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
            Curiously, does his optimisations translate readily to any other hardware drivers?
            yes
            Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
            I guess they're optimistions for a reason because they're targetting the Broadcom model's idiosyncracies, but still. Always interested.
            they are optimization for mesa inefficiencies which are not so problematic on 16gb memory systems. what prevented you from reading blog?

Comment

When will desktop OpenGL 2.1 be stable and enabled by default?

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                When will desktop OpenGL 2.1 be stable and enabled by default?
                On the Raspberry Pi?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                  Uh? I thought it was already working...
                  That would be great. In which RPi distro? I mean, Wayland is not the default on any major PC Linux distribution, although it's optional on some. I'd be surprised if it is available on the RPi. I can only find sth about a Maynard shell from two years ago. The guys from the RPi foundation say the graphical shells that support Wayland are too heavy for the RPi and LXDE does not support Wayland. I wonder how much has changed in the last two years. In any case, it's not just the shell, you know.

Comment

Last time I tried those drivers the camera didn't work and I couldn't use them, because my application really required the camera. Is it working now or are there plans to support camera when this driver is in use? Lack of OpenGL with default drivers is a bit annoying, if you are using Qt with QML interface that wants to have everything through OpenGL with no other software rendering option. Llvmpipe is very slow on RPi3 for real-time applications even, if they are actually 2D.

I also tried Weston and it doesn't work any more (on Raspbian Jessie) with default drivers. They've removed the Raspberry specific backend and EGL is not available. With VC4 it just works, but I run it only for a short while and I don't know how stable it is.

Btw, I can edit my messages.
                    Last edited by Tomin; 09 August 2016, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X