Gallium3D Optimizations Published For BioShock Infinite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by artivision View Post
    I'm still searching for the promised RX470 (2048 shaders) at 150 bucks.
    Dafuq? It's not even released yet, why are you searching for it?

Comment

Originally posted by kamild1996 View Post
      Yea, look at those optimizations for a 3 year old single-player game nobody cares about anymore!
      In a meanwhile, popular games still played today struggle to run...
      Really? I've been playing Limbo for the first time recently and that was released in 2010.

I'm just about to start playing Transmissions: Element 120 which is based on the HL2 universe and that game engine.

My best friend goes back and plays old games like Starcraft all the time. Yes we would all love to have the newest popular games working well. But getting older games to run well on current and old hardware is just as important.

BTW, I've got the Bioshock games in my Library having played the first years ago, and I plan to complete them all. So this is great news for me personally.

Comment

I didn't know there's a Bioshock Collection coming. Sorry, my bad, all hate deserved.

Also I was thinking about Source games like CS:GO or TF2. I should have phrased it better, these are definitely not recent games, but they're still very popular and it kind of bothers me these still have issues on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

On the other hand i love RadeonSI and its progression so far, for a totally open driver is amazing and probably the most advanced yet(the hardware is way more complex and powerful than intel, so you get the idea)
          From what I understand, even though Intel is the lowest in terms of power, it's nevertheless the most complex hardware to program. The complexity roughly goes Nvidia -> AMD -> Intel.

Comment

mmm in TAHITI r9-280 i'm seeing improvement in Metro redux(s), X Rebirth HOL, outlast, and cities skyline(not totally sure) i've also noticed unigine demos don't seem to have fps spikes anymore(at least not to the naked eye)

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              EDIT: Of course reply stuck in the mod que...

This is exactly the kind of cool news linux gamers need to hear. Marek, you are freakin awesome! Don't stop optimizing, we love it!
              Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              F___ing mod que!!!

EDIT: This is the kind of cool news linux gamers need to hear about. Marek, you are freakin awesome! Don't stop optimizing, we love it!
              What's the point of rewriting messages that are in the mod queue? They'll show up eventually anyway, as seen here with 3 times your message...

Comment

Also I was thinking about Source games like CS:GO or TF2. I should have phrased it better, these are definitely not recent games, but they're still very popular and it kind of bothers me these still have issues on Linux.
                For Windows TF2 is 9 years old and CS:GO is 4 years old. But for Linux TF2 was released February 2013. and CS:GO September 2014., so first is 3 years old and second less then 2 years old

Blob drivers should work/perform fine on Linux already... but this is about opensource drivers, radeonsi in particular. Opensource drivers were traditionaly couple years laggy when it comes to GL specs implementation and performance of course but it improves over time
                Last edited by dungeon; 18 July 2016, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  Blob drivers should work/perform fine on Linux already... but this is about opensource drivers, radeonsi in particular. Opensource drivers were traditionaly couple years laggy when it comes to GL specs implementation and performance of course but it improves over time
                  Proprietary drivers worked fine (can't use them just yet) but open-sourced ones have this nasty bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=95308
                  That's my main concern :/

Comment

My main issue is this nasty bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93652 (which also affects the AMDGPU-Pro stack due to it being an amdgpu bug). There is a work-around of killing Xfce4 power managment (or whatever else is applicable) and setting /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level to high on boot, but that's annoying as heck to add that to a startup script after every OS install on each machine. I also assume the card is chewing through significantly more power this way.

Addressing performance issues is all well and good, but shouldn't the serious show stopping bugs be addressed first?

If AMD wants to work on improving gameplay performance, I would point them towards Dying Light. Absolutely horrible performance on my Fury X regardless of using Mesa or AMDGPU-Pro. It was even worse on my R9 285, but both these cards should handle the game fine. Whatever is affecting Dying Light performance is the only reason I am seriously considering a Nvidia GTX1080 card (to put in a spare machine I will soon have freed up - which might ultimately become my primary machine).

Comment

Proprietary drivers worked fine (can't use them just yet) but open-sourced ones have this nasty bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=95308
                      That's my main concern :/
                      Someone commented there "This has been an issue since TF2's mid-December 2015 update."

So, why not looking back in december:

For Linux "Texture streaming now enabled" , so it might be due to that

I'm requesting an option to disable texture streaming for the reason that it tends to cause major bugs on some cards/graphics stacks (and seems to be causing crashes already), and can cause somewha...

Comment

Working...
                      X