Gallium3D Optimizations Published For BioShock Infinite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kamild1996 View Post
    Yea, look at those optimizations for a 3 year old single-player game nobody cares about anymore!
    In a meanwhile, popular games still played today struggle to run...
    If you optimize a certain technology for 1 game, other games using the same thing will also be faster. Also "popular games still played today" are mostly windows-only, Infinite as of this day is still among the best linux has available.

Comment

Yea, look at those optimizations for a 3 year old single-player game nobody cares about anymore!
      BioShock: The Collection is expected to be released in 2016 september. It will contain the remasterd Bioshock 1, 2, and all DLCs along with Bioshock 3. Bioshock 1 & 2 gets hires textures and (I guess) the engine of Bioshock 3. Bioshock 3 engine is ported to linux, and now Marek is working on making it faster.

“Three BioShock games. All of the single-player DLC. Remastered for modern machines. One value packed bundle.” ― 2K Staff Blog Post[1] BioShock: The Collection is a game bundle consisting of remastered 1080p editions of BioShock, BioShock 2, and BioShock Infinite, along with their accompanying downloadable content. The collection was released on September 13, 2016 in North America, September 15 in Australia, and September 16 internationally. The remastered versions of the first two games were de

Comment

I haven't played it yet, because it wasn't playable on my HD 7970M.

Before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BbyRx90czc
        After: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA5PRrIrpVM
        (I know, not a very accurate test since it is neither the same settings nor the same scenes. Still shows a general trend in performance)

It's still not where it should be, but much better.

If it improves a little bit more I might even play it through to the end.

Comment

That's OK though. It's "feel" of game play that's most important for most people. Exactly repeatable benchmarks can't give a sense of how the game feels, only an actual play thru can. If you can play a bit and it feels ok, that's what is important. At least IMHO.

Comment

I am currently playing it.

Comment

Originally posted by stalkerg View Post
              I want to see tests!
              low res but I don't have 1080p for now.
              OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

It's really good.
              Thanks Marek

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                If you optimize a certain technology for 1 game, other games using the same thing will also be faster.
                exactly, these patches divides the internal buffer object cache into buckets, so when there is the need to clear the cache, only the objects into the specified bucket are cleared (actually used only by radeon drivers)

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post

Get over yourself. You just marginalized the people who still like to play games that aren't within a month or two of their release. I was just playing this the other day.
                  Get a console if you want to be on the cutting edge of gaming but still use 100% open-source stuff on your PC.
                  Yeah and as soon as SteamOS driven SteamBoxes are more common, everybody will complain that their games collection performs significantly worse and that's the reason why Linux suxxz111!!!!11

Comment

In a meanwhile, popular games still played today struggle to run...
                    I'm honestly curious what games you are talking about that are more popular and newer than Bioshock Infinite.

Also, I'd be willing to bet the stuff Marek is doing to improve performance on this game also helps out on many other Feral ports (and likely other modern games as well). Looking at the patches, it's stuff like reducing stalls from fences and improved pbo caching, which are very much general case optimizations.

Comment

I'm still searching for the promised RX470 (2048 shaders) at 150 bucks.

Comment

Working...
                      X