Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Opens Up High-Performance Software Graphics Rasterizer

Phoronix: Google Opens Up High-Performance Software Graphics Rasterizer

Some exciting non-Polaris news today is that Google has open-sourced SwiftShader, the library they use for high-performance graphics rendering on the CPU...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They do NOT use it in Android. They use it in **ANDROID DEVELOPMENT TOOLS**.

Comment

Now that Mozilla showed Presto rendering everything super fast on the GPU, they open source their CPU rendering software. Ok.

Comment

Hmm, isn't it the SwiftShader code once developed by Transgaming (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransGaming#SwiftShader) ?

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
          It fails to build on my machine.

Code:
          SwiftShader/src/OpenGL/libEGL/libEGL.cpp:992:47: error: cast from 'EGLClientBuffer {aka void*}' to 'GLuint {aka unsigned int}' loses precision [-fpermissive]
          GLuint name = reinterpret_cast<GLuint>(buffer);
          Hmmm... They're probably treating warnings as errors (using -Werror), and your version of GCC emits a warning where theirs didn't. Or maybe it's due to a difference in the version of one of your header files. Either way, if you can disable -Werror, you should get past this.

Comment

Originally posted by MiKom View Post
            Hmm, isn't it the SwiftShader code once developed by Transgaming (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransGaming#SwiftShader) ?
            I would assume so, they did license the technology from TransGaming.
            Maybe they had a talk with them and convinced them to open it up?

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post

I would assume so, they did license the technology from TransGaming.
              Maybe they had a talk with them and convinced them to open it up?
              The original version of swiftshader (called swShader) was published as open source by Nicolas Capens (first occurrence I ever seen is on GameDev.net a long, long time ago) and later acquired by Transgaming. It was based upon an inline assembler called softwire - also by Nicolas Capens - and his implementation of half-space texture mapping (which he described on devmaster here: http://forum.devmaster.net/t/advance...erization/6145). See https://sourceforge.net/projects/sw-shader/ where some source is still available.

So technically, since swShader was distributed as LGPL, all Google has to do was to fork it and continue development to get it to the point where it is usable. Although I agree they probably have licensed the tech from Transgaming

edit: I gave a look to the CONTRIBUTORS.txt file and it appears that Nicolas now works at google. So he may have transferred the tech (which he owns) to google.
              Last edited by Emmanuel Deloget; 29 June 2016, 02:49 PM.

Comment

So how does this open source Direct3D implementation compare to what is (is it?) in Wine? Would pulling this into Wine improve compatibility for D3D software?

Comment

At first I was thinking "ugh great, we don't need another software rasterizer" but at least this is focused more on GLES than GL, which llvmpipe, softpipe, and swrast are all a bit lacking in.

Comment

But how does it perform?

Does Microsoft's WARP outperform everything?

Comment

Working...
                    X