Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 12.1-dev Is Off To The Races

Phoronix: Mesa 12.1-dev Is Off To The Races

While Mesa 12.0 was just branched days ago and is going to be an extraordinary release, new work is already building up for Mesa 12.1-dev that will be released around September...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's good to see these things land, I wonder if the dev focus for the next couple of weeks will be polish?

Comment

Was it a low-hanging fruit of fix or not? Besides shader cache, what are other possible bottlenecks or parts that can be improved to offer a better performance?

Comment

The patches touch mostly cache flushes, same that were used as workarounds for problems (and fix the problems) other flushes could be optimized to occur less

Comment

I really can't see how OGL4.4 and 4.5 couldn't be done by Sep, those are almost done already for allot of drivers correct? Then the only thing missing is Vulkan. Oh and freesync/mGPU support.

Comment

@theriddick
            Hhhmmm..... I thought Vulkan 1.0 is already part of the upcoming MESA 12.0.

Comment

They almost pulled it off for this release, if there would be no issues with remaining part of GL_ARB_enhanced_layouts (AFAIK it needs some rewrites) then we would have 4.5 at least in core for 12. ;-)
              Also I wonder why nobody reviewed that patch set to enable that feature for Intel...

Comment

they will implement 4.5 rapidly for focusing more on vulkan...

Comment

Originally posted by rgloor View Post
                  @theriddick
                  Hhhmmm..... I thought Vulkan 1.0 is already part of the upcoming MESA 12.0.
                  Only for Intel, and it's missing a ton of features that still need to be enabled.

I think the current state is good enough to run demos, but not much beyond that.

Comment

Well the dreams would be:
                    1. Full OpenGL 4.5 compatibility (mostly just for the heck of it, since the remaining extensions aren't really that important).
                    2. Full Vulkan support (at least for the FOSS AMDGPU side, hopefully also RadeonSI (see point 4)).
                    3. Improved performance with less stuttering (L4D2 is still stuttering a lot on my r9 290, even though the average framerate is usually really good).
                    4. The FOSS AMDGPU completely replaces RadeonSI (with improved performance) so AMD can focus their development on one stream.

Comment

Working...
                    X