X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Now, WINE might be able to utilize G3D to talk more directly to the hardware- if they can manage to process HLSL to something useful and more succinctly model the state machine that D3D uses.
    Converting HLSL to TGSI sounds like sheer agony. (let alone trying to deal with the pre-compiled stuff, might end up having to feed that directly to the GPU instead of going through G3D)
    Edit: Never mind, Wine seems to have done HLSL->GLSL conversion since 2007. This was a non-issue even when the original message was written, apparently.
    Last edited by nanonyme; 08 August 2009, 07:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NeoBrain
    replied
    Originally posted by picard View Post
    hm would it be possible to have 3d accel and fast 2d on multiple xservers? that would be really great. with the radeon driver i can only use dri on one xserver at the moment, while the nvidia driver could supply 3d on more than one xserver (yes i know it doesnt use dri) . but this feature is really cool if you want to have compiz on one desktop and play games on the other one for example.
    thanks!
    If one implements the stuff correctly, it should of course work.
    It once worked with Catalyst 8.4 on my computer (and it's _really_ handy too finally have "minimizing" support under Linux), but newer versions fail at it.

Leave a comment:

• picard
    replied
    hm would it be possible to have 3d accel and fast 2d on multiple xservers? that would be really great. with the radeon driver i can only use dri on one xserver at the moment, while the nvidia driver could supply 3d on more than one xserver (yes i know it doesnt use dri) . but this feature is really cool if you want to have compiz on one desktop and play games on the other one for example.
    thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
    I wonder if that unknown card and unknown company is Larrabee and Intel?
    Wild speculation on either the SGX or Larabee drivers at this point. Though that would be my WAG as well...

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
    or it could be nVIDIA or VIA :P ( For me, I hope it's Radeon :P )

And I've yet to understand how can Gallium make DX9 available.. Does it emulate it in the way Wine does? Or does it provide the same API that is available on Windows? If it does provide the same API, then that would make porting games much much easier. (wishful thinking :P )
    Heh...

Gallium3D is a mid-level API that handles primitives, etc. as commanded via either API and it's corresponding state machine. You can have an ES, OpenGL, and D3D hook into this layer, much like the big two have framed in their proprietary drivers. Gallium3D brings us into a realm that brings the prospect of drivers nearly as fast or as fast as AMD has for their stuff, sans anything they can't give us info on like TIMMO. The fact that you have Gallium3D support of D3D doesn't lead to having this support on Linux. You still need the API and state engine pieces. Now, WINE might be able to utilize G3D to talk more directly to the hardware- if they can manage to process HLSL to something useful and more succinctly model the state machine that D3D uses.

Leave a comment:

• _txf_
    replied
    I wonder if that unknown card and unknown company is Larrabee and Intel?

Leave a comment:

• Loris
    replied
    Originally posted by JulFX View Post
    Or maybe for the ps3 cell gpu, as it is mention on their wiki : http://www.tungstengraphics.com/wiki....php/Gallium3D
    I think those two drivers already have been under development for some time now, so this wouldn't be an undisclosed info. I think that that new driver could be that PowerVR driver (some free code + proprietary blob) I've been hearing about for some time now. Mainly targetting the last PowerVR chip, the SGX one, which is being used as the graphics core of the Intel's GMA 500 (integrated graphics coupled with the current Intel Atom products). I think the driver has been requested to Tungsten Graphics by Intel, to support their new "netbooks" computers, but I may be completely wrong. I read something about the release of this driver to happen at the end of 2008, so this could be it.

A beer for who guesses right?

Leave a comment:

• NeoBrain
    replied
    Just wondering, can anybody tell me the size of the "official" intel driver at the moment, so one can get a better image of how much more compact the sample driver is?

Leave a comment:

• ethana2
    replied
    Yeah, I'm most interested in Direct3D 10 and OpenCL myself..

Or as the engadget commenter would say
    '...but can it run Crysis?'

Leave a comment:

• JulFX
    replied
    Originally posted by remm View Post
    The unannounced driver should be for Radeons I suppose, as it has been often mentioned by the driver community.
    Or maybe for the ps3 cell gpu, as it is mention on their wiki : http://www.tungstengraphics.com/wiki....php/Gallium3D

Leave a comment:

Working...
X