Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRI3 Support Lands In Gallium3D's Video Code

Phoronix: DRI3 Support Lands In Gallium3D's Video Code

Gallium3D's video acceleration code for VA-API VDPAU state tracker were upgraded today with support for DRI3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not familiar with DRI2/3 and VA-API VDPAU. I think DRI is for the communication between the X server and the GPU, and VA-API VDPAU is a very strange name for video acceleration. Is that it?

What are the effects of these improvements for the everyday Linux user?

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
      I'm not familiar with DRI2/3 and VA-API VDPAU. I think DRI is for the communication between the X server and the GPU, and VA-API VDPAU is a very strange name for video acceleration. Is that it?

VA-API and VDPAU are used as a means for software (such as gstreamer or VLC) to access hardware-accelerated video processing and video decompression acceleration hardware.

Comment

DRI3 should give better performance with less tearing than DRI2 did. And these changes just allow you to run accelerated video over DRI3.

The effect will be subtle unless you're looking for it, and most distros don't yet enable DRI3 out of the box anyway, but this is a nice step forward.

Comment

Strictly speaking DRI is for the communication between the X server and a direct-rendering driver (one which does not have drawing commands passed through the X server). Simplest explanation is that the X server knows where the windows are and DRI is how a driver bypassing X knows where on the screen to draw.

The VDPAU name isn't really so strange once you pick it apart - Video Decode and Presentation Api for Unix.
          Test signature

Comment

Thanks for the explanations.

So VA-API and VDPAU are two different APIs for video acceleration? I thought one was a specificity of the other.

Comment

So VA-API and VDPAU are two different APIs for video acceleration? I thought one was a specificity of the other.
              They are separate. Then there's a third one OpenMAX. Drivers and video players need to support all three separately. Linux video decoding is rather messy

Comment

VA-API is Intel's solution to Video decoding, and encoding, on Linux.

VDPAU is Nvidia's (and now AMD's) decoding, but not encoding, API for Unix-like operating systems.

There's also OpenMAX, which is a Khronos(of OpenGL, Vulkan, and OpenCL fame) API for encoding and decoding.

There's XvBA, which was AMD's Catalyst encode-decode API, but very little software actually supports that.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Did anybody try OMX with x86? I only used that with my Raspberry Pi (there you can use OMX or MMAL).

Comment

Iirc. OpenMAX is used for encoding video with the specific ASICs on newer AMD APUs (besides that is lives on Android, but I have no clue of Android). VDPAU is afaik only de-code (as the name says) and was is supported by the nv blob, very likely also by the nouveau stack and the whole free AMD stack started to use it years ago. I am not sure how far non-intel drivers make use of VA-API but iirc. there are also kind of translators at least in one direction.
                    Well, seems like intel does have its own "extra-sausage" again, they nearly don't use gallium and they also keep to their vaapi. Well, whatever.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X