Mesa 12.0 Might Be A Delayed Release This Summer With OpenGL 4.5 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 12.0 Might Be A Delayed Release This Summer With OpenGL 4.5 Support

Phoronix: Mesa 12.0 Might Be A Delayed Release This Summer With OpenGL 4.5 Support

There's traction building around delaying the next Mesa release, which is currently scheduled to be out in June and for a feature freeze in just a few days. A new proposal is to make Mesa 12.0 be the release with initial OpenGL 4.5 support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I see cull_distance as done, it should be moved outside of the todo list, isn't it?
    Anyway, the plan looks good, we will see.

Comment

At the end of the day, a feature comes when it's ready. The version number that accompanies it is 100% irrelevant. Maybe they should adopt Google/Mozilla strats and call it Mesa 162.0.

Comment

Nice, but what about the Unreal Engine 4 issue?

Comment

Doesn't it seem fairly generous to expect the Intel driver to jump ~5 versions of OpenGL, without any regressions that hold back exposing that version, in less than a month? Or Nouveau? Considering we still do not have OpenGL 4.3 working in any driver yet.

Comment

No, because there are actually only a small handful of missing extensions: https://mesamatrix.net/

Comment

I guess the question is how many apps out there are going to take advantage of 4.4 or 4.4 and start executing different code paths (and expose new bugs). My impression is that once you get past 4.3 the risk goes down pretty fast. The UE4 bugs with 4.3 enabled are on the list so as long as someone takes them on this could work. Don't think anyone is saying it's a done deal yet, just that it's worth looking at as a plan.

On the other hand we have new HW support in the next Mesa release IIRC so delays there might be a problem.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                Doesn't it seem fairly generous to expect the Intel driver to jump ~5 versions of OpenGL, without any regressions that hold back exposing that version, in less than a month? Or Nouveau? Considering we still do not have OpenGL 4.3 working in any driver yet.

GL releases are composed of individually-documented extensions. Because the extensions have individual value, they have been implementing them piecemeal. Both i965 and RadeonSI are very close to OpenGL 4.5 feature completeness. For your information, RadeonSI is at 4.3 right now. i965 is missing one from 4.0, one from 4.1, none from 4.2, one from 4.3, two from 4.4, and three from 4.5. The majority of the extensions are finished, and most of the remaining ones are related to other remaining ones.

FWIW, assuming equal engineering input, and equal documentation, RadeonSI seems like it would be closer to 4.5 than i965 right now; though I suspect there's a bit more to it than that.

Comment

Can someone explain the difference between "OpenGL core profile version" and " OpenGL version string". I'm installed the latest Mesa and LLVM from Copr repository and yet the OpenGL version is 3.0/3.3.

Code:
                  OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD TONGA (DRM 3.1.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
                  OpenGL core profile version string: 4.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.2.1
                  OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.10
                  Code:
                  OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.1

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                    RadeonSI
                    I do not believe the UE4 bug that made the team hold back 4.3 has been patched yet, so you have to manually activate it.

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...il/113022.html

Which is kind of my point. You want to just start advertising OpenGL 4.5 within a month, and encounter all these myriad bugs in existent software that would expect pretty much only the Nvidia driver to support or use features between ~4.2 and 4.5.

Comment

Working...
                    X