X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
    Amazing. It's intel and they implemented it on gallium and use gallivm/llvm.
    Completely different team, that has nothing at all to do with the one making the Intel i965 driver.

It's hard for people to understand, but with companies as big as Intel, Apple, or Microsoft, it's easy for different teams like this to exist and never even be aware that the other one is out there, let alone be involved with each other or agree on the best way of going about things.

Leave a comment:

• mazumoto
    replied
    Amazing. It's intel and they implemented it on gallium and use gallivm/llvm.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by rabcor View Post
    Ah I see, well it's kinda essential to have so I had hoped that this was the case. I guess Intel are just trying to do better then. High performance software renderer would indeed be nice.
    According to the docs https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ry/108133.html it's primarily targeting VTK applications.

I know there was some testing, and it seemed like llvmpipe was generally faster in typical games, but swr has some large benefits for other types of workloads that aren't as fragment shader bound.

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied
    Originally posted by agd5f View Post

We do, we actually have 3 of them already (swrast, softpipe, llvmpipe).
    Pixman as well, but maybe that's not quite the same as it doesn't take gl commands?

Leave a comment:

• rabcor
    replied
    Ah I see, well it's kinda essential to have so I had hoped that this was the case. I guess Intel are just trying to do better then. High performance software renderer would indeed be nice.

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    replied
    Oh I see, I'm surprised we didn't already have that.
    We do, we actually have 3 of them already (swrast, softpipe, llvmpipe).

Leave a comment:

• rabcor
    replied
    Oh I see, I'm surprised we didn't already have that.

Leave a comment:

• gamerk2
    replied
    It's basically just doing OpenGL entirely on the CPU.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Can someone explain to me what this Software Rasterizer is supposed to do? I'm familiar with the concept of Raster vs Vector graphics (Big fan of PNG and SVG formats even) and know the differences, but I can not understand what a "rasterizer" would do other than converting other graphic types to raster format... Is that what it does?

I mean... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasterisation
    It's basically an OpenGL graphics driver running on the CPU, similar to LLVMpipe, and not relying upon a GPU for rendering.

Leave a comment:

• rabcor
    replied
    Can someone explain to me what this Software Rasterizer is supposed to do? I'm familiar with the concept of Raster vs Vector graphics (Big fan of PNG and SVG formats even) and know the differences, but I can not understand what a "rasterizer" would do other than converting other graphic types to raster format... Is that what it does?

I mean... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasterisation
    Last edited by rabcor; 02-18-2016, 10:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X