Radeon vs. Nouveau Gallium3D Driver Performance On Mesa 11.2-dev, Linux 4.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Herem View Post

If the site in your opinion is just low quality click bait then what are you doing here?
    Where did I say that it is only low quality articles? Michael produces high quality articles from time to time, but usually they are largely outnumbered by low quality articles, oftentimes begging people to disable Adblock or buy premium membership. I wouldn't have a problem with buying premium membership, if that would mean we could get rid of the clickbait articles, but I don't see that happening.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
      Where did I say that it is only low quality articles? Michael produces high quality articles from time to time, but usually they are largely outnumbered by low quality articles, oftentimes begging people to disable Adblock or buy premium membership. I wouldn't have a problem with buying premium membership, if that would mean we could get rid of the clickbait articles, but I don't see that happening.
      Not agreeing with someone's business model isn't an excuse for stealing their product. That's like refusing to pay for your electricity because your supplier doesn't use 100% renewable energy and you don't agree with fossil fuels.

I also think it's unfair to say there are lots of click bait articles. If you check over the last 5 days articles there are only 4 without any comments. So while you might not be interested in lots of the articles it appears some people are. I personally find Phoronix a useful site precisely because it collects a lot of information in one place, saving me time trawling the net for Linux related news.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
        Actually I would be genuinely interested if you would mind commenting in the forums when you consider something "click bait".... While in the past I admit to try to make some provocative titles or "click bait", I really haven't been trying try to be "cleaner" the past the number of months...So I really can't figure out any recent examples I would call clickbait. Then again, when I am working 100 hour weeks, sometimes I do try to be creative with my titles or what not in trying to entertain myself while being burned out and stressed as writing a lot about one thing can be repetitive, but still, not trying to be "click bait".

And yes, I have evaluated different business models in post-ad world: shutdown free access, limit site to premium members and write just more thorough articles while focusing rest of my time on PTS/OB development. But most out there wouldn't agree to having a pay wall....
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The problems seems to be caused by a very, very dumb rule in EasyList:
          Code:
          [COLOR=#000000]phoronix.com##div[style^="text-align: center;"][/COLOR]
          Which hides (visually) any content within a div that has a style attribute starting with "text-align: center;"

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Actually I would be genuinely interested if you would mind commenting in the forums when you consider something "click bait".... While in the past I admit to try to make some provocative titles or "click bait", I really haven't been trying try to be "cleaner" the past the number of months...So I really can't figure out any recent examples I would call clickbait. Then again, when I am working 100 hour weeks, sometimes I do try to be creative with my titles or what not in trying to entertain myself while being burned out and stressed as writing a lot about one thing can be repetitive, but still, not trying to be "click bait".
            Maybe clickbait isn't the correct word. For example, look at this slightly older article: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...tem&px=MTY1Njg
            In this article you begging people to not use Adblock or become premium subscribers actually takes more space then the news itself.
            Then there are articles like this one:
            http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...USB3-Enclosure This article seems to only exist to get you some money from Amazon, since the only links in it are Amazon links with your tag-ID, not even one link to the actual manufacturer's website.
            And then there are the "anti-news" articles, in this one you even admit that there is actually nothing to report on on: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...BUS1-Linux-4.5
            And yes, I have evaluated different business models in post-ad world: shutdown free access, limit site to premium members and write just more thorough articles while focusing rest of my time on PTS/OB development. But most out there wouldn't agree to having a pay wall....
            Why not try something like LWN.net, make the featured articles only available to premium subscribers, but open them up after a certain amount of time, maybe a week or so. Seems to work fine for them. Yes, they still have ads, but it is really a minimal amount and not annoying at all (testing it with Adblock, ABP reports only one blocked ad for the LWN home page, while for this very forum site 8 blocked ads are reported).

Comment

The graphs are blocked on both adblock plus, and now ublock origin as well. You're going to lose a lot of people if this isn't fixed.

As for adblocking, I turned it off to test, six, yes six adverts came up on a single page. That's atrocious.

Comment

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
                The graphs are blocked on both adblock plus, and now ublock origin as well. You're going to lose a lot of people if this isn't fixed.
                As has been said already, I did nothing on my end... It's the problem of the adblocker/other plugins. As someone already mentioned on this page, sounds like someone added a rule to the plugin that any div that's centered to the page gets blocked.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

As has been said already, I did nothing on my end... It's the problem of the adblocker/other plugins. As someone already mentioned on this page, sounds like someone added a rule to the plugin that any div that's centered to the page gets blocked.
                  Well, since the rule requires the style to begin with centering you can swap order or better yet move it to a class since it's used on every graph. You can also report false positive to easylist maintainers - they respond to reports like this quickly.
                  Last edited by c2h5oh; 14 February 2016, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c2h5oh View Post
                    Well, since the rule requires the style to begin with centering you can swap order or better yet move it to a class since it's used on every graph. You can also report false positive to easylist maintainers - they respond to reports like this quickly.
                    I would say the fact the adblock software is blocking legitimate content is your issue rather than the site owners.

Why would any site owner spend time and effort to help put themselves out of business?

Comment

PTS does log the sysfs pstate info, but now with being on debugfs, that won't be recorded unless I am running PTS as root, which is also why the Radeon clocks on the open driver never get exposed either in most of my results.
                      Hm, that's a little annoying. But since you reclock by hand (presumably), you could similarly, by hand, log the results of the reclock (just cat the pstate file). I'm not suggesting altering anything produced by PTS, but in the article, it'd be good to note that like oh, the max core clock is 1GHz, but nouveau clocked it at 200MHz or whatever. That should hopefully put the results into context.

I'm just concerned that people are drawing conclusions based on your results along the lines of "This is the performance of this game with nouveau on any GTX 760", which is totally not the case -- it's the performance of nouveau with *that* GTX 760, and reclocking might go very differently on another GTX 760.

Comment

Working...
                      X