Raspbian Now Ships With Experimental Support For The New VC4 OpenGL Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspbian Now Ships With Experimental Support For The New VC4 OpenGL Driver

Phoronix: Raspbian Now Ships With Experimental Support For The New VC4 OpenGL Driver

A new release of the Raspberry Pi's Debian-based "Raspbian" Linux distribution is now available. This release based off Debian Jessie adds in experimental support for the Pi's new open-source, OpenGL Linux graphics driver stack!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great to see the work of Eric Anholt and others is gaining increased testing, as the various components make their way into upstream releases.
    I've been running with the latest Git builds of much of the back end driver plumbing for a month or two on my RPi 2, and while there are (known) corner case bugs it has been fairly stable.

Eric has a good article at https://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/VC4/ that identifies the TODO areas, and reasons for known Piglit testcase failures. I hope to contribute small patches to improve the VC4 Gallium Mesa driver implementation.

Comment

Which OpenGL version is going to be supported?

Comment

What about other distros for the Raspberry Pi like Arch? Do they support these fancy features as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Shimon View Post
          Which OpenGL version is going to be supported?
          Based on my Raspberry Pi 2:

Code:
          $ mesa-release glxinfo | grep OpenGL
          OpenGL vendor string: Broadcom
          OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on VC4
          OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 11.2.0-devel (git-be43e22)
          OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

Comment

Doesn't the proprietary driver only support OpenGL ES?

Comment

Where does it actually say it will be available for RPi1 later?

Comment

Nice to see it going open source, but..... do people actually plug monitors into those things? My favorite use for them is for remote deployment using autossh to maintain a reverse tunnel with a server, and hooking them up to run whatever needs to be run by remote. If I'm hooking something up to a monitor, I either expect a bit more grunt than those are capable of.

The utility of rpi is network + its other data I/O (gpio, usb, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by Imroy View Post
                  Doesn't the proprietary driver only support OpenGL ES?
                  Yes it does!
                  And the opensource driver is supporting classic OpenGL!

Comment

For OpenGL 1.x there's glshim but hardware OGL 2 would make it really interesting!

Comment

Working...
                    X