No announcement yet.

63 Mesa Patches For Wiring Up One OpenGL 4.3 Extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some ppl don't get that Gallium drivers are much harder to backport as soon as a newer LLVM version is required. Also should Intel pay devs to add support for AMD cards? I think the few lines needed could certainly be done without Intel support...

Comment

Nothing to do with Gallium3D, just that drivers using LLVM are harder to backport because you need to consider LLVM as well.
      Test signature

Comment

Fine, then what other drivers do you think require LLVM other than Gallium ones?

Comment

Beignet uses LLVM, but is not a Gallium3D driver.

Only some Gallium3D drivers use LLVM -- I didn't think the Nouveau Gallium3D driver used LLVM, for example...
          Test signature

Comment

Beignet is OpenCL not OpenGL - i do not really need that. But if you want AMDGPU you need a new LLVM version, nothing that is always possible. I think for nouveau OpenGL 4 you need LLVM 3.7 too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              I think for nouveau OpenGL 4 you need LLVM 3.7 too.
              Nope. The only way that nouveau will use LLVM is in the following fallback scenarios:

* GL_SELECT (the fallback is done by st/mesa, not the backend driver) will use a swrast driver
              * a few unhandled situations on the nv30 driver (GeForce FX and GeForce 6,7 series), we fall back on the draw module, which in turn is able make use of LLVM.

These are extremely rare scenarios. So in practice, LLVM is never used.

Comment

I think for nouveau OpenGL 4 you need LLVM 3.7 too.
                IIRC there is some work being done on an LLVM shader compiler for Nouveau, but didn't think it was in use yet. Will check.

Anyways, my main point was that there is no causal connection between Gallium3D and LLVM, although there may be some coincidence.
                Test signature

Comment

Fine, then what other drivers do you think require LLVM other than Gallium ones?
                  Drivers that require llvm:
                  llvmpipe
                  radeonsi
                  .... And that's it

Gallium drivers that don't require llvm:
                  softpipe
                  r600
                  nouveau
                  freedreno
                  vc4

Yeah, gallium has nothing to do with llvm. It's a driver by driver decision whether or not to use it, and Intel could just as easily have chosen to use it while sticking with their non-gallium codebase.

Comment

Working...
                  X